Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 32: Strong and Steady

I had a good night's sleep last night.  I slept like a dog. I slept like the dead. Or maybe a dead dog!

I think I got a solid 6 hours before I regained consciousness. It was about 4 a.m. I got out of bed, stretched, drank a bit of water, visited the restroom and then crawled back into bed. I felt a lovely breeze coming in through my open window. I knew that once the sun came up, I would have to shut it.  So I lay the enjoying the experience.

Then I shut my eyes for another two and a half hours.  I felt groggy, but rested. I decided not to hoop this morning.  I felt the need to move slowly.  I decided to pack my gym clothes. I will be going to the gym after I return to Vancouver. I teach in Portland today.

But first, breakfast with my mom.  She rolled in precisely at 7:30.  We headed over to Portland to our favorite diner. We were looking forward to talking with our usual server. She told us she had planned on seeing "Equalizer II" last weekend.  My mom and I are serious Denzel Washington fans. And "The Equalizer" is one of our favorites. My parents own the DVD. I think they've watched it over a dozen times. My mom can quote most of Denzel's lines. And embarrassingly enough, often does. In public.
She has a lot of character, my mother. And you gotta love a person with character.

We were pleased to find out she gave Equalizer a high rating.  My mom is tickled that Denzel's character is a Lyft driver.  So am I. I have many fond memories of my Lyft rides when I was living in Milwaukie.

Amazingly, the public transportation to and from Vancouver is much easier now that I live near 4th plain. The Vine goes up and down 4th plain.  Nearly every 10 minutes from about 4:30 a.m. until about 12:30 a.m.  I love the Vine!

Did I mention how hot is is today?  So hot, that I am taking my time here in the library. The library is one of my favorite hangouts. Especially on a hot day.  From here, I will stop at the bank and grab a light dinner before heading over the river. My gym has excellent air conditioning. I may even soak in the jacuzzi a bit.

I am hoping I have another restful night of sleep. Tomorrow I have a long Baby Gracie shift. My daughter and son-in-law play softball on a team through their church.  Too hot for me to bring her to the ballpark. So I will be home all afternoon with her.

If I get enough rest, it will be a piece of cake. She and I have many activities we do together.  When it is time for her nap, I will put in the DVD "Little House on the Prairie".  Like my mother with Equalizer, Gracie knows many lines from the movie.  It is our comforting ritual before her nap.  She is crawling now. And quickly. So I have to keep up my energy to keep up with her!

I feel like life is settling down again.  I feel like I am healing, my nerves are calm, my heartbeat strong and steady. My sleep study appointment Thursday night caused me some angst. But I have come to the conclusion, that if I am not eligible for a CPAP machine, I will just work even harder to lose weight and work on my sleeping pattern.

I do want to be around to watch my granddaughter grow up. And I still have so much of life to experience.

I picked up an interesting book at the library. I'll read a bit over dinner before the long trek home. It is called Lessons from the Prairie, by Melissa Francis. It is based on Gracie and my favorite show!  I will also read from Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. I do believe that regularly reading positive thinking books, studying the bible and prayer will heal me.

And not to beat a dead horse (what is it with all the dead animal analogies?), I am returning to veggies, fruit, chicken, water, green tea for sustenance.  I am going to try and stay away from white, sugar and fried foods.  More exercise. More sleep.  More music! I forgot to mention that during my night of torment at the sleep lab, it came to me. A small voice inside. Was it God?  It said, "More music, more prayer. Keep your mind clear."  My mind had been racing. Many negative images from the past. Many words. Mostly negative words.

I told myself to remember to replace the negative words with prayer and music.  That's what I have been lacking lately. Music!

After my last student today, I stayed and practiced a bit. The church I teach at on Saturdays has a lovely grand piano. But not AC.  I practiced a piece I am preparing for a church service I am playing for next weekend.

How wonderful it felt, to sit in a dark church, alone. Practicing.

I need music.  How often I put it on the back burner. I teach music several hours a week. But I need to carve out time for me.

Music is healing. For me, especially playing music.

I also got Season 5 of "A Place to Call Home", an Acorn Film production. It is set in 1958 in Australia. One of my favorite series ever! I do need to pace myself and limit myself to one episode a night.  I don't want to mess with my sleep again!

 But I've stalled long enough. I need to head out. On that note, I wish you a lovely evening.

I will talk to you tomorrow. And should have a new hooping video then.

Until then,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...