Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 215: Simply Amazing!

I feel like I have been reborn! It must be the L-Lysine! Combined with eating no meat, dairy, wheat or sugar yesterday. And not eating right before bed.

My face is less poofy! I have very little pain. The cough is still there but, less so. 

Plus Baby Gracie slept through the night - from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.!

My daughter was ecstatic to get a full night's sleep. She got up and fed her from 6 a.m. until about 6:30 a.m. My daughter was exhausted. I told her to go lay back down and I would stay up with Gracie if she did not want to go back to sleep. 

My daughter breathed a heavy sigh of relief and lay Gracie gently in her crib.  But as soon as my daughter left the room, Gracie started to fuss. I remembered a Youtube video I saw recently. A woman showed her aunt putting her baby to sleep with light facial massage in just a few minutes.

I've given Gracie baby massage before. And stretches.  But the light facial massage intrigued me. Back in the day, I was a licensed massage therapist. I even taught a baby massage class with my baby daughter as the demo when I worked for a chiropractor.  She had nightly massages all her life. Her poor husband!  But they helped her sleep.

So I walked over to the crib and put one hand on her belly - she often has lots of baby gas. The other hand lightly caressed her head and stroked her forehead.  She stopped fussing immediately. Her eyes started to get heavy. She fell asleep in 10 seconds flat! Woot woot!

So Grandma Z got a nice morning nap. My daughter and I both got up around 9:00 a.m. We could not believe that Gracie was still sleeping. I almost wanted to wake her up.

"Don't you dare!", warned my daughter.

We cleaned and made breakfast. I had a hard boiled egg, a vegan smoothie, and Earl Grey tea. I realize that eggs are not vegan, but I felt the need for some protein.

Then about 9:45 we heard movement. Gracie had woken up. This little girl is the epitome of morning person. She woke up smiling. We both leaned over the crib and wished her a good morning. She pleasantly "Aah-Goo'd" back at us!

We had such a pleasant morning. After breakfast, we packed up the laundry and spent the rest of the morning at the laundromat. I felt so good. Almost like my old self. I even brought my knitting with me.  I had started knitting a baby blanket for Gracie when she was in the womb, but it got all lopsided, so I unraveled it and started over. But the past at least 4 months, I have been tired, dragging coughing. If you've kept up with my blog, you know what I mean!

But I had energy today. I started back on the blanket.  It is really beautiful thick bright blue, green and white yarn. It looks more like a bath towel than a blanket. But my daughter said she needs towels and she likes the color.

Gracie loves the laundromat. So much to look at. Both her mom and grandma to wait on her. And I think the white noise from all the machines soothes her.  While we waited for the clothes to dry I walked next door and order Thai food to go for our lunch. I had rice, green curried veggies and tofu. I ate only half of it. It tasted wonderful.

I think I may try to eat mostly a vegan diet again. I tried it several years ago when I was attempting to lose weight. But I failed. I ate way too many carbs. I felt tired. I didn't lose weight. I felt good about myself, not eating animal products, but my health did not improve.

Now I am armed with much more knowledge. And having been recommended to go on a strict vegan, gluten free, sugar free diet was all the prompting I needed!

I will still have the occasional egg. And most likely fish once in awhile. I will keep monitoring my progress.

I am a human experiment.

I have so much more to tell you. Like, I had an impromptu casual date Tuesday night after choir practice. Not romantic, more like friends have a bite together. But it was fun!

Details will follow.

I also had an amazing time playing the piano with Portland Chamber Music for Portland Rescue Mission last night. Always my favorite holiday gig. I love the guys there! When I retired, I would like to volunteer there.

But now, I need to run and teach some piano!

Happy Thursday!

Here is today's hooping video: Day 179. Tomorrow is Day 180 (6 MONTHS!!!)

Love,

Zita





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...