Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 210: Comparing Faces

This is going to be a short post. I am on my way to teach a student and then to choir practice.  It is a lovely fall day. Clear and sunny, but with a bitter chill.  I have no reason to feel low today. But I do. But mostly low energy.  I am not feeling particularly stressed out about anything.

All this work on myself is paying off. I am keeping my head above water, and keeping my priorities in mind.  I am praying and knitting Happy Socks.  I am practicing piano, hooping and eating healthier (within my "window"). I am reading positive, inspiring books. My newest is Chicken Soup for the Soul: Find Your Inner Strength, by Amy Newmark; forward by Fran Drescher https://www.chickensoup.com/book/44635/find-your-inner-strength.

An odd thing, though with my new hair color and cut. People are telling me I look younger. And they mean it as a compliment. But I realize I had started getting used to the idea that I was "older", as in eligible for a senior discount. A grandma with gray hair that was trying to stay healthy.

Now I feel this temptation to focus more on my appearance, worry about wrinkles, wear makeup.  There is a constant shift in the balance of life.  A shift between between authentic and caring for others, to taking care of ourselves, caring what others think and putting forth an image.

And then hiding behind that image.

I wish I could have talked to my therapist today.  He rescheduled for next week.  But maybe it is best. I believe I needed a bit of solitude.

And perhaps a large chai tea with heavy cream and sugar free cinnamon dolce.

And a book to lose myself in.  Aside from my positive thinking books. I picked up a little mystery paperback just now, called Flourless to Stop Him  by Nancy J. Parra.

Now to disappear for an hour before my student.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

No hooping video today - I tried, but my granddaughter woke up when I just started. Watching her and hooping don't go well together! I'll try again tomorrow!


Wait! Something made me go back and look at old posts from this blog. Something I rarely do.  I looked up this day in 2015, my first year of this blog.Comparing my face picture of four years ago to today, instantly cheered me up.  I can see less poof! And I honestly feel like I see more of my authentic self in today's picture.

Time passes and we can just let it go, or we can make something of it!

Happy Tuesday! :)

10/08/2015
10/08/2019



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...