Skip to main content

Year Two, Day 85: Sharing the Happy!

Day 5 of my "Happiness Way".

Today I focused on replacing anxiety with peaceful thoughts.  I am on chapter 9 in The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. The title of this chapter is "How to Break the Worry Habit".  Written with me in mind, no doubt. Although Mr. Peale wrote this book roughly 10 years before I was born!

I had a sad thought this afternoon as I was walking to a piano student's house.  I would have liked to have met Norman or at least to have written him a letter (or an email) and share with him how much I am benefiting from his book. I would like to have told him that I tried to read it when I was much younger, but his words fell on the hard rocky rebellion of my youth rather than the fertile soil of my much wiser, mature, receptive years.

But I can't meet him. I can't write to him.  Norman Vincent Peale died in 1993. My daughter was 3 years old. My son was 1.  And I'm sure I was a ball of anxiety.

And who really knows how long we are blessed with our lives?

I personally do not want to waste one more moment worrying!

I have always struggled with anxiety.  When I was young, they called me "shy".  When I played piano recitals, it was "stage fright". In relationships it was "low self esteem". Oh, and there was the ominous "fear of public speaking".

Whatever you want to call it.  It was anxiety. With a capital "A" as in awful!

So, it was with great pleasure that I dove into the first paragraph of chapter 9:

"You do not need to be a victim of worry. Reduced to its simplest form, what is worry? It is simply an unhealthy and destructive mental habit. You were not born with the worry habit. You acquired it. And because you can change any habit and any acquired attitude, you can cast worry from your mind."
The Power of Positive Thinking, Norman Vincent Peale


Already I am reaping the benefits of positive thought.  It is taking a lot of work undoing 54 years of Eeyore mode. But it is getting a little easier with each step.

Being aware of my thoughts and not following them is what I have been working on.  If I catch myself having a negative thought, and then pursuing it or reacting to it, I stop.  I inhale. I repeat Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".  

Then I repeat my happiness way: 
"The way to happiness:
Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry.
Live simply, expect little, give much.
Fill your life with love.
Scatter sunshine.
Forget self, think of others.
Do as you would be done by.
Try this for a week and you will be surprised"\.
~The Power of Positive Thinking, Norman Vincent Peale, 1952
What is even more wonderful than experiences more positivity myself is being able to share the happy with my family!

In fact, there were more quotes I wanted to share with you, my readers, but my daughter borrowed my book. She took it to bed.

Ah, but there is always tomorrow.  

And I am looking forward to it!

Happy Tuesday!



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...