Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 129: Letters to My Father

I wrote a letter to my father today.  I wasn't sure what I was going to say, but as I put the pen to the paper, the words appeared.

I talked about the beautiful warm, spring like day. And how I hoped he would get outside to see the flowers and hear the birds sing.

I told him how I went to the park yesterday with my daughter and granddaughter. My 20 month-old granddaughter who is the spitting image of her mother.  I asked him if he remembered her mother at that age. He was mesmerized by her from the moment she was born.

He didn't show love for me.  Perhaps it is that generation.  We weren't hugged or told that we were loved. But as I wrote to him I realized what an impact he made on not only my life, but countless others. 

My father taught me to play the piano. I was only three years old.  He taught me on an old upright piano in our small living room. I was so tiny, I had to sit on a Sears catalog to reach the keys. The keyboard was missing some of the ivory.  He had taken a crayon on written the names of the notes on the keys.

I learned to read music about the same time I learned to read.  It came easily to me.  

And although I had enormous stage fright, I have pretty much overcome it now.  I told my father that because of him, hundreds, maybe close to a thousand people have learned to play the piano, including members of our own family.  Including my mother, my daughter, my son, my nieces and my granddaughter.

It is all because of him.

I hope that if he looks back on his life, he will feel that he was important.

My mother called after I wrote the letter. And after I contacted other family members encouraging them to write letters to my father.  I plan on compiling them into a scrap book as soon as he has seen them. So he has something to look at when he sits in his chair.  I also included some pictures of my kids and my granddaughter.

When I see my mother's number come up on my cell phone these days, my heart races. I imagine her telling me my father is gone.

He is still here. And having a good day apparently! My mother told me he was perky today, talkative and walking unattended.

I exhaled relief. But I am still mailing my letter today. I have played the piano for too many memorial services where the family is sobbing, telling fond stories of the deceased, wishing they had spent more time with them. 

I do not wish to have those regrets.  So we are creating a celebration of life for my father. While he is still here.

I wish I had thought of this sooner!

Happy Tuesday!

Love,

Zita




P.S. Here is today's hooping video. I didn't make it to the park. My allergies are in full bloom. So you still have the back porch view.  Day 58. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...