Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 242: True Lies and Viking Red

Sunday evening:

I am looking at a plastic bin full of VHS tapes. 70 video tapes, neatly stacked and alphabetized and cataloged in a lined notebook. They belonged to my father. There are many many more at my parents house.



To be honest, there are only 69 in the bin. One us playing in my VCR. "True Lies" with Arnold Schwarzenegger. I told myself I'd test all the videos before selling them. But I like this movie so much, in watching the whole thing.

It is high action, suspense and funny. Tom Arnold and Arnold Schwarzenegger have incredible chemistry. I wondered if Arnold Schwarzenegger did his own stunts. So I googled it:

"Arnold Schwarzenegger's biggest challenge for the movie was not doing all the physical stunts, but dancing a tango. He had to take dancing lessons to realistically perform the dance. He rehearsed the scene for about six months, as he wanted to make sure he was as good at the tango as Al Pacino was in Scent of a Woman (1992)."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111503/trivia

Jamie Lee Curtis was also very entertaining and in incredible physical shape. I read she did her own "hanging out if the helicopter" stunt. Knowing this before I watched the movie had my palms sweaty and heart racing since I'm afraid of heights.

I wonder what it was like for her?!

Monday afternoon:

So, my plan is to clear out all the videos and vcrs that my father has collected for the past 50 years. My mom thinks there are thousands. 

My father had a stroke 5 years ago. During his recovery, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. My mother, a retired RN has been doing all his care until now. She recently agreed to accept some help. My brother is doing much needed repairs on their house: Especially the roof and plumbing. My nephew us clearing yard debris. I am helping with moral support, cleaning and going through my dad's assorted "collections" which he finally agreed to part with.

I also encouraged them to sign up for Meals on Wheels. Thus has been a Godsend!

Oh and I still do breakfast once or twice a week with my mom. It is good for her to talk. Although I admit that lately I've been doing most of the talking. Much stress. 

I'm hoping to raise money for my incarcerated son with proceeds from the videos and vcrs.

He thankfully is in a local prison and started working immediately. But the pay is only $36 a month. He needs shoes and toiletry items. And much phone money.

Our family is stretched thin financially. We hope we can continue to help my parents so they can remain in their home.

I guess I am now part of the sandwich generation. Taking care if my aging parents, grandchildren and helping incarcerated son. 

No wonder I'm gray haired and tired.

O.K. just tired. I destroyed the gray hair with a box of red hair dye Saturday night. It's pretty extreme. Viking red is how I would describe it.

Also, my daily exercise is nonnegotiable. It is keeping me sane.

Speaking of which, the gym is calling.

I will be posting the videos and vcrs as soon as I make sure they all work. I discovered there is a safe zone at the police station in my neighborhood - I can meet people in the parking lot to make sales. I will send videos via mail, but not vcrs. I don't have that much time or trust in the mail system!

Talk soon.

Happy Monday!

Love,

Zita

P.S. I'm still hooping and doing Qi Gong. I hope to delve deeper into my Qi Gong practice. I have a few books I checked out from the library.
Vliking Red






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...