Skip to main content

Day 187: Longing for My Czech Grandma's Homemade Bread

Up with the chickens, I am! I don't have chickens. But I know they get up early.

My grandma on my mom's side, Grandma Annie, raised four children, mostly on her own on a little farm in the town of West, Texas. This is the city that was devastated by the fertilizer plant explosions a few years ago. Before then , most people had not even heard of this little Czechoslovakian community. My mother's family was Czech. Grandma Annie's parents came to the United States in the early 1900's.

Whenever I feel like my life is difficult, I remember my grandma. I imagine what her life was like. Raising four kids in the depression. Her husband died when my mother, the third of four children was just a baby. Thankfully, Grandma Annie's sister Bessie lived with them. Great Aunt Bessie lived her entire life, single, helping raise the kids. And they both got up with the chickens. When I stayed  with them, as a teenager, I remember hearing them stir at 4:3 a.m. Shortly after that, th entire little house would be filled with the heavenly aroma of fresh baked, yeasty bread.

That generation is long gone. I wish I could have spent more time on that farm in Texas. We moved up to the Pacific northwest when I was very young. My father's family did not welcome us. I think I spent my entire childhood longing to be back in West, with a family that got up with the chickens, made homemade bread, and "kolaches" (a Czech pastry), and loved each other. How would my life be now, if I had been cherished instead of chastised?

Ah, but I am who I am! And I need to shake off these feelings and greet the day.

I am needing to make it to Mass this morning. Then a school musical rehearsal. I thought it was a two hour practice, but I got an email yesterday from my friend Jeanne who writes and directs  (and hires me!) that informed me it was only one hour. I was thrilled, actually. This will give me enough time to get a gym workout in before my afternoon piano students!

But what I wouldn't give for a thick slab of my grandma's homemade bread coated in real butter right now!

Somehow I think that the gluten in that bread  wouldn't hurt my tummy at all!

Happy Friday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...