Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 168: Happy Morning People

I got up and out the door before sunrise thus morning. I did not hit the snooze button more than once!

I had promised my daughter I would watch Baby Gracie while she went to the gym. Gracie has been a good motivation for me to change some bad habits. Like oversleeping.

It was lovely to watch the sunrise from the Max train. I decided to stop st Cascades Station and have a London Fog at Starbucks. I also ordered oatmeal.



Then I sat and read a bit from my Joyce Meyers book. One of the questions she asks in her workbook is what your least favorite daily chore. She says as long as you have to do something, you might as well do it with a positive attitude.

Without hesitation, I wrote my answer on the line. In big letters:


"My most difficult task everyday is getting out of bed"!

I am commited to changing this bad habit. 

Especially after I had so many pleasant encounters with happy people! They must be morning people, I thought inside my head.

The first one was my first bus driver. It was very dark at my stop. So I had my cell phone on, ready to flash at the driver, to alert her. Only, this stop was right across from an elementary school. Before the TriMet bus arrived, several school buses passed by. I could not tell the difference until they were right in front of me.

I imagine the school bus drivers were perplexed to see a lone, middle aged woman flashing her cell phone at them!

When the TriMet bus arrived, the driver thanked me for flashing my cell phone at her. "It's hard to see passengers in the dark, without lit bus stops", she said.

I laughed and told her how I had flashed several school bus drivers.

She laughed and said, "Maybe they would have given you a lift!"

We had a nice chuckle. She wished me a pleasant day as I debussed. A very pleasant driver!

My barista at Starbucks was equally cheery. As was my Lyft driver.

Just think, by oversleeping every day, I have been missing out on a whole rash of happy morning people!

Well no more! I plan in joining the ranks!

My son-in-law told me today that he tries to do one thing he hates everyday. He believes it is good for personal growth. I told him I agreed.

No pain, no gain! Our culture is entirely too focussed on comfort. And there is no growth in a comfortable life of hedonism.

Suffering and sacrifice is where it's at!

That is why, I have decided to take my fitness to the next level. I am going to start running everyday!

So is my son-in-law.

We made a pact.

I got this!

I will start Sunday morning. Tonight I was up with Baby Gracie. Much dancing. This grandma is pooped.

But happy.

On that note, I wish you a happy Friday and pleasant dreams.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 132 of my daily hooping adventure!
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...