Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 171: Slowly Breathing


I did it again!

I jog/walked 1 lap at the track this morning at sunrise. I had to get there early, before the school children started showing up. The public is only allowed to use the running track outside of school hours.

So I popped out of bed at 6:50 and headed over to the track. With my flashlight.

I was stiff and sore this morning.  I really need to start working on eating healthier.

I must sound like a broken record! Yesterday after my Baby Gracie shift, my son-in-law dropped me off at the Cascades Max Station. I was just going to have a cup of tea, but I hadn't really had dinner. So I went to Panda Express.

I did pretty well. I had veggies, beef and rice.



The problem is, I was feeling the need to just sit and relax and read.  I had held Baby Gracie for about 3 hours earlier. I love time with her, but I felt the need for some quiet pondering.  After my meal, I got out my Bible, prayer journal and devotional.

I did some lovely reading.  But I just wasn't ready for the ride home.  So I headed over to the frozen yogurt joint across the way. And had a lovely cup of Irish Creme frozen yogurt  topped with berries, nuts, coconut and hot fudge.

It was so yummy!  I felt very happy eating my treat and just relaxing after a long weekend.

But when I got home, I had trouble falling asleep. My legs felt restless.  I started to cough and wheeze.   Oy.

I'm wondering if it is a sugar reaction?  I definitely notice the restless leg issues after I've consumed sugar.  But the cough?

Anyway, this morning, after my run, I came home and was still tired. I thought maybe I'd take a little nap before my hoop  and piano practice session.

Alas, I had a horrible coughing and wheezing fit. Heavy on the wheezing. I felt short of breath. Then I felt a bit panicky. My mind started to race. My heart started to pound. What if I stopped breathing? What if my COPD gets worse? How will I teach? How will I take care of my granddaughter?

What if I can't run?

Nope. Not an option. Run, I shall!

I took control. I sat up. I breathed slowly in through my nose, out through m mouth. Drank some water.  I adjusted the pillows, so I was not laying flat on my back.

I kept breathing slowly. I read an article on COPD that said to breathe in slowly through your nose.  Hold your breath and then exhale twice as slow.  It helped the wheeze and to still my racing heart (and thoughts). 

Breathing almost normally again, I lay down on my side. And slept for 2 1/2 hours!

Now I am feeling much better. I went out to hoop. It is a lovely, clear, blustery fall day. I took all of my vitamins, drank some water with vitamin c powder and made some hot tea.

I practiced for about an hour.

But I am going to make a doctor's appointment for later in the week. I think having an inhaler on hand for my episodes would be good.  I talked to my daughter about it this morning. She is worried I will depend too much on the inhaler. She suggested getting one, but keeping a record of my asthma attacks. And ask the doctor how frequent I should use the inhaler.

Smart girl, that one!

Today, I am heading to the library to print some flyers for my upcoming concert. I will share them with you tomorrow.

But for now, I wish you a happy Monday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita

P.S. Here is today's hooping video:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...