Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 165: Punching the Air or Telling the Devil to F Off

"I feel healthy! I feel happy! I feel terrific"!



I recalled the above mantra this morning as I lugged my sore body out of bed. I looked at my puffy eyes in the mirror and said my mantra, punching the air with with my right fist.  

I learned this from a hyper positive coach at life insurance camp as a young adult.  I sucked at selling life insurance. But camp was fun!  We would load up on coffee and donuts and stand up and scream our mantra every morning.  The studies were boring, but the after party of pizza and beer was always fun!  (Hence the need for coffee, donuts and mantras in the morning!)

The mantra worked! I smiled and went outside and hooped. It is a glorious day here in the neighborhood - 68 degrees, clear and sunny!



 My hip loosened up with my hooping. I stayed on the sidewalk in the backyard. I feared the uneven ground on the grassy hill might through my hip out of whack again.



Really, I feel about 80% better. I was thinking damaged joint, hip replacement, walker, medical bills. But just a bit of Tylenol, Tiger Balm, ice, stretching, hooping and walking and this grandma is good to go!

Today was day 129 of my daily hooping experiment. I am so glad that I didn't permanently damage my hip! I would hate to hang up my hoop!  Again, I am learning that behavior modification, as well as learning and perfecting any skill is best done in regular daily increments.

I can't wait for Baby Gracie and my next dance session!

After my hoop session, I had a nice piano practice. Then I hopped on the bus to lunch.  HoHo on SE Cesar Chavez and SE Powell is one of my favorite lunch joints. They have a daily special for $7.25. I had "Happy Family" with hot and sour soup. And I stayed within my daily eating out budget!

Yay, me!

My scripture of the day reflects my pride in myself.  I am still reading The Mind Connection: How the Thoughts You Choose Affect Your Mood, Behavior, and Decisions by Joyce Meyer.  I am in chapter 8: "Positive Self Talk".  This is the chapter I need to read and reread every day of my life. 

Because for most of my life my self-talk was negative, shaming and down right mean.  

My scripture of the day was mentioned in this chapter.  And it just leaped out at me!

Scripture of the Day

" And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good..." (Genesis 1:31)


A well known passage, from the first book of the Bible. But today it just went straight to my soul. God made everything, including me.  And if He says I am good, I am!

When I was a child, my mother told me Jesus sat on my right shoulder, telling me the right thing to do. But the devil sat on my left shoulder, tempting me with bad things.  

I was frightened. 

"What should I do, Mommy?" I asked.

"Punch the air with your left fist", was the wise answer of my mother.

So there I was. A little girl of maybe 3 or 4 years. Walking around constantly punching the air with my left fist! 

Now I am older and wiser. I just the devil to "F off". It feels more empowering. And looks less ridiculous. (I say it in my head). 

But mostly I just choose goodness, light and love.  

On that note, I need to head out to teach piano.

May your Tuesday be filled with goodness, light and love!
Love,

Zita

In my library office. Do you notice I have the same expression on my face as the Cookie Monster?
I may have to find a gluten free cookie before choir practice tonight!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...