Skip to main content

Day 239: It DOES Snow in Portland, Oregon!


Woke up to a winter wonderland this morning! Of course, there was no hint of it in the forecast.  So the whole city shut down.  Only about 2 inches.  But it's just as well. Portlanders are not equipped to travel in the snow.

Sadly, the soprano from my chamber group and I were going to play for a homeless meal today.  She woke me up with a text that they were snowed in. I looked out my window and gasped.  We would have taken the bus down, but this dining hall had no piano. She was going to bring her electric keyboard. Her partner and her went out for a trial run and got stuck on a hill.  At least there was a Starbucks nearby. She told me they made it back safely.

All my plans were for naught.  No homeless concert. No gym. No visiting my mom and dad with my son.

I was pretty bummed for awhile.  Then I made breakfast and hot cocoa and realized I had a free day!  I've been cleaning and reorganizing, and catching up on emails.

Then I realized I needed to return some Redbox videos.  Luckily there is a 7-11 just four blocks from the house.  So I put on double layers and my sturdy rainboots.

Oh, it was such a refreshing walk!

I returned the videos and then walked up the street to see if the little Mexican joint on the corner was open. It was and it was hopping!

It's called "Taqueria El Cazador" on SE Foster and 101st.  Within walking distance of the house. I had never been there. But I was pleasantly surprised. Good food. Clean. I called my son to meet me. I had carne asadas soft tacos, beans and rice. He had a carne asada burrito. We watched soccer in Espanol.  I don't speak Spanish, but Spain was playing Germany and you don't need to speak the language to feel the excitement!

They had a little salsa bar, complete with chopped fresh radish and onion.  Very pleasant and good to know there is decent food nearby when I not able (or willing) to cook!  They have breakfast too!

Back at home, I watched the birds on our deck, guzzling up all the bird seed from the bird feeder my son-in-law put up.  They are so beautiful. I saw so many types of birds. I couldn't get a very good picture - they flew off every time I put my hand up to get a shot.


I let Honey Dog outside. She was very curious about the snow. Put a tentative paw in it before taking a step out.  Then she ran around like a crazy dog for awhile, and then sat in deep thought (so it seemed) for awhile before demanding re-entrance.





I am going to do some stretching and crunches in my room and then practice the piano.  Then a movie and bed. 

Who knows what the commute will be like tomorrow!

On another note, I am feeling more controlled with my eating today. Eating smaller portions and resisting the urge to snack.  My head is feeling clearer and my belly is settling down. December was not a good healthy eating month.

But tomorrow is day 240. That equals 8 months!  I am not giving up!

Happy Sunday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...