Skip to main content

Day 260: The Zita Roast

My new Birthday sweater from my mother. I love this pattern!


So yesterday my family came over to roast me, err celebrate my birthday. But it felt like a roast.I survived. And now I am lingering over a London Fog at Starbucks after church, chatting with my favorite barista, Josh. I asked him his secret for his sunny disposition. Without missing a beat, he said, "Its because I am a physicist!"

We had a lovely  chat about the universe, God and positive energy.  I finished my tea and told him to keep being wonderful. He looked back and smile and said, "And you keep being beautiful!"

If  all of our encounters could be so pleasant!

Like my birthday dinner for example. I am joking really. We had fun. My mother brought over a meatloaf. She even made a mini gluten free loaf for me. But that's when the roast began. My brother mocked my gluten free lifestyle.  Soon the whole table chimed in.

Later when we sat down to play a game of blackjack, someone asked if it was a gluten free deck.

Sigh.

Family. :)

But dinner was wonderful. The gluten free meatloaf was tasty and held together quite nicely.  My mother was surprised. :)  My mashed potatoes with bacon cream cheese were divine. As were the green beans with bacon balsamic dressing.  Quite a meaty dinner, I should say!

My mom gave me a lovely sweater with a pattern that just screamed "Zita!" I've always had an ethnic taste in fashion.  Or maybe it's Bohemian? Eccentric?  Whatever it is, this sweater was made with me in mind!

Today has been wonderful so far.  I woke up nearly pain free.  I don't know what to attribute it to. I have been stretching regularly.  I've been eating pretty healthy, and low sodium as much as I can tolerate. But I did have a piece of birthday cake last night. White with lemon filling, for heaven's sake!  My tomorrow rumbled in protest all night, but I feel good today.

My new sweater and I made it to church. I am attending a "doctrinal bible church" that I discovered a few years ago before moving to Salem.  It feeds me.  We sing hymns at the beginning. The music director usually talks a bit about the composer first. Which ironically fits in with my new found hymn obsession.

The pastor is fascinating. He studied the bible in it's original languages of Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic.  It's like a 2 hour bible class with singing and prayer.  It's a small, friendly congregation. I was taking notes like a mad woman today.

Then I met my kids and son-in-law for a steaming hot bowl of Pho afterwards.

AND I went for a refreshing walk with my son and Honey Dog! We started out on the Springwater Trail and then looped around and walked through the Johnson Creek Wetland area, near Zenger Farm.  A delightful day so far!

http://www.zengerfarm.org/zenger-farm-wetland


Happy Sunday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...