Skip to main content

Day 241: Geronimo, Borscht, A Secret WWII Internment Camp and Prayer!




I am looking forward to getting back to my normal routine again.  Cranky and irritable, I am!

I watched the movie "Geronimo" last night.  It stirred up the old feelings of anger and frustration at our ancestors that robbed these people of the dignity and way of life.  I stayed awake late thinking about how so many cultures are destroyed by a dominant group.  And it is still happening.  What would this country be like if we had allowed the Apaches and all the other tribes to live free?  Maybe we wouldn't be here at all. 

Humanity. It sucks sometimes. I downloaded a book about Geronimo to read on my Kindle.  While searching the internet, i stumbled on some information I had never known.  The Crystal City internment camp in Texas in World War II. 
You can read about it here. http://tpr.org/post/texas-matters-secret-history-crystal-city-wwii-internment-camp#stream/0 I have more reading to do. But I honestly had never heard about this before. I need to download another book:

"


 The above book is next on my list! I'm downloading a sample as I type this, so I remember what I'm reading next.

Yup, bookaholic I am.  Treatment I do not seek!

You know, it sure is tough getting back to work after winter holiday break and then snow/ice days on top of that!

My email is going crazy with requests from students needing to reschedule, musicians wanting to rehearse, family needing to get together....Oy!

But I started the day at the gym with my daughter. I did one mile on the treadmill, stretches, crunches, and then ended with another mile on the elyptical. I am avoiding weights for the time being because my left elbow is really sore. 

It's been like this for almost a week, ever since I had blood drawn last week.  The same arm. I wonder if there is a correlation?

I am kind of cranky today.  I think I have cabin fever. The roads are pretty clear, but the sidewalks are awfully slick, so I have not gotten out much besides the gym. But just walking from her truck across the parking lot was treacherous.  Many slick spots.


I am teaching a few piano students today. Usually I am eager to start my day. I enjoy the walk to and from the bus and to their houses. But today I am not looking forward to it.  I still have another hour before I have to leave, maybe the sidewalks will be clearer then. 

I am definitely stopping at Starbucks between students today. I have a light load. One student cancelled and there is no choir practice tonight.

But I am heading to the music center to practice after my last student. I also need to pick up some music. Our choir is doing the Mozart Requiem this term and I need to get practicing! :)

On a very positive note, my daughter made homemade borscht last night. Her best ever!  She roasted whole beets.  It was better than I remember their Ukranian babysitter's borscht.  And that is saying a lot!

I had a nice bowl with a dollop of sour cream for lunch.  Oatmeal mixed with brown rice cereal and quinoa for breakfast.  I'm feeling good about my eating. And my exercising. Now I've got to work on this attitude!

I just realized what I am missing today. God! How could I forget him!

I haven't been going to early Mass because of the weather.  But I can still pray and journal and read the bible.


And that is what I am about to do!

Happy Tuesday!

Z
Rejoice always, pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." ~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...