Skip to main content

Day 263: Passion

Today is Mozart's birthday.  But I am doing my stretching to Beethoven. Sorry Mozart. Beethoven has always been my man. I am stretching to the Piano Concerto Number 1 in C Major. Great way to wake up! I have always loved his passion.

However, the choir I accompany is working on the Mozart Requiem, which I have mentioned in previous posts. We had rehearsal last night. There are no words. I often break out in goose bumps or feel tears welling up in certain passages.  I think I should play the Requiem at night to help my sleep.

I am quite stiff and sore today. Since it is my last Wednesday off before I start teaching in Salem again, I gave myself a break. I allowed myself to take it easy this morning without too much soulracking guilt.

But having a plan does help.  I took a really hot shower and stretched.  I stepped on the scale.

I weighed in at 186 today.

The last two days I have eaten all food from home.  I know this is healthier. But I do love my restaurants!  Just need to perhaps limit them to perhaps once a week.
I just noticed that I used the word "perhaps" twice in that last sentence. I have been obsessed with words lately.  Truthfully, linguistics has always fascinated me, but I never delved very deep.

Never too later right?

I looked up the word "perhaps" in the Cambridge Online Dictionary.  It is defined as: "Perhaps (adverb) " used to show that something is ​possible or that you are not ​certain about something; ​maybe"
 http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/perhaps

Perhaps, me thinks, I am a tad attached to my restaurant addiction.

Food for thought, yes?

Moving on.  After my tea and porridge, I will play and sing my hymn of the day.  I have been quite enjoying this new ritual.  I plan on printing out the lyrics to favorite hymns to keep with me on my route.

Today's hymn is "Ah, Holy Jesus" Words by Johann Heermann, 1630.  Based on the music by Johann Crüger ( HERZ LIEBSTER JESU) 1640.

I just played through and was struck with how familiar the tune was. I thought perhaps I'd just played this hymn in one of the churches I'd played for. But I looked up Herz Liebster Jesu and discovered that other composers, named JS Bach had used this melody:

 "Partially based on earlier melodies (including the Genevan tune for Psalm 23), HERZ LIEBSTER JESU was composed by Johann Crüger (PHH 42) and published in his Neues vollkömliches Gesangbuch (1640). Johann S. Bach (PHH 7) used the tune in both his St. Matthew Passion and St. John Passion, and various other composers have written preludes on the chorale." (http://www.hymnary.org/tune/herzliebster_jesu_cruger)


 

And here is the text, translated into English in 1899 by Robert Bridges:
 Ah, holy Jesus, how hast thou offended,
that we to judge thee have in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by thine own rejected,
O most afflicted!
2 Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone thee!
'Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee;
I crucified thee.
3 Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
the slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered.
For our atonement, while we nothing heeded,
God interceded.
4 For me, kind Jesus, was thy incarnation,
thy mortal sorrow, and thy life's oblation;
thy death of anguish and thy bitter passion,
for my salvation.
5 Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay thee,
I do adore thee, and will ever pray thee,
think on thy pity and thy love unswerving,
not my deserving.


This hymn moves me profoundly.  Not just the lyrics. But the tune is in g minor. Minor keys are darker than major keys.  And I often feel the music on a deeper level when it is a minor key. Perhaps because I live my life in a minor key.  I love gray skies, rain, wind, sad stories.  

Here is another youtube video.  This is a haunting arrangement, by Timothy Shaw.  Lovely!

 
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR2OAUqAijM

On that sublime note, my piano practice awaits me!

Happy Wednesday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...