Skip to main content

Day 245: I Talk to the Trees

The hardest part of my day is getting out of bed. But I have found going to bed hungry helps. I've actually begun to enjoy the feeling of an empty stomach. I've convinced myself that my growling tummy is a sign of melting fat. Waking up hungry gives me a reason to get vertical in the morning.

So I am going to go back to my original plan, but loosen it a bit. Since I sometimes don't finish teaching and/or rehearsals until 8:00 or 9:00 p.m., I will allow myself a small, healthy meal at 9:00 p.m. on my late evenings. But I have successfully cut way back on the "recreational" eating.

Late night meals can consist of vegetables, rice, yogurt, kimchi and a bit of lean protein.  I like making healthy bowls of brown rice topped with veggies, a bit of chicken, olives and kimchi.

I need to make sure I don't eat salty foods, processed foods or sugar before bed (trying to avoid these anyway!).  These tend to make me have nightmares and feel like I've been run over by a truck in the morning. And sometimes I feel like that truck put it in reverse and back up over me!

I am feeling like I've moved past holiday mode.  I really do struggle emotionally around holidays, especially Christmas.  It makes me sad, because as a Christian, the message should be positive, healing and full of joy.  I do grab some of that joy. Especially when I am able to be helpful to others, or even have a random, peaceful human connection. But I am very vulnerable and sensitive.  I feel like maybe I should just hibernate the entire month of December!  But where would the growth and learning be from that?

I am recommitting myself to being more productive.  Especially in my work as a teacher and musician.  More piano practice, less "cramming" for performances. (Yes I do that!)

I would like to rise earlier. Thankfully, I have held on to my exercise regimen for 245 days now! I am very proud of this accomplishment!

On the other hand, I would like to be more mindful. Enjoy my life in the present moment. The grounding work I discovered from my Facebook friend has been a God send. I will notice colors around me. I am particularly drawn to noticing trees. I have always felt a connection tor trees.  I feel this urge to hug some of the big, strong older ones! So now if I start to feel stress, or panic, I search for a tree.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, I will always find a tree friend close by!

On that note, I will close with one of my favorite Clint Eastwood moments. No, it's not "Go ahead, make my day!"  It is one of his more sensitive roles from "Paint Your Wagon".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...