Skip to main content

Day 249: Pre-Birthday Blues

Feeling a little under the weather today. (My autocorrect spelled "under the bus")

Hmmm... maybe it is a sign? I do feel like I have been run over by a bus today.8

I think that perhaps it is just the season. Many people get bogged down in the winter. Post holiday blues. Or for me, pre-birthday blues.

I think humans were actually mean to hibernate in the winter. Like bears, lol.

I am taking a total day off today. The day before I turn one year older. Going into my "cave". I will still exercise, pray and practice my piano. Maybe go out to lunch. Maybe a massage! But no teaching or commitments of any kind. I have been feeling overwhelmed since my father's stroke a few weeks ago. 

He is actually recovering well. He is a stubborn, cranky man. He was quite abusive to my brother, my mom and I our whole childhood. But we all came together for him in the hospital. And I could tell it touched him. Deeply. He got good care in the hospital and is now on meds for depression and high blood pressure. He is a different person. Almost like a dad. I forgave him in my heart years ago. But he has never apologized. I am ok with that now. Life is about change. 

I still have David Bowie's "Changes" running in the back of my brain on continuous loop mode.


I have this feeling change is coming for me too. I am feeling burnt out . Don't get me wrong, I love my students, but I have saved nothing for my future, however long that is. I spent my youth trying to find love. Never really found it. But I had kids and they took my adult life. I learned about love by being a mom. But now they are grown. Maybe I need to learn to love myself. I want to travel. See new things. Meet new people. And make more music.

Thinking about a new church pianist job. It is stable income. I need to stop living day to day. 

Then again, maybe I'll win the lottery? :) Whoever does win the lottery today will definitely see some life changes. I hope for the better.

Happy Wednesday!

Z

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...