Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 218: Advent

Hello My Friends!

Today is Saturday, 11/30/19. Tomorrow is December 1st. The first day in Advent.

Advent has always been my favorite time of the year. Even before I knew the meaning of Advent! And even when I learned about Advent, it was in the context of the Liturgical year of the Christian church.  My understanding of Advent was centered around the concept of waiting.  The people were waiting in darkness to be saved by Christ, the light of the world.

"The people who walked in darkness
Have seen a great light;
Those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death,
Upon them a light has shined."(
Isaiah 9:2; NKJV)

As I come to understand myself more and more, it makes sense that I connected with Advent in this sense. Because I have always craved the darkness. Not dark, in terms of evil, or absence of light. But perhaps since I have always felt more energized at night, or on cloudy, rainy days and drained by hot, sunny days, I feel safer at night.

I have always been an odd duck.  But comfort to me, is curled up in a safe, warm place at night, with a book, a hot cup of tea, a blanket and perhaps a warm pet curled up at my feet. 

But the word Advent does not, after all mean "waiting". It means coming.  Here is what I found on Christianity. com:

"The word “Advent” is derived from the Latin word adventus, meaning “coming,” which is a translation of the Greek word parousia. Scholars believe that during the 4th and 5th centuries in Spain and Gaul, Advent was a season of preparation for the baptism of new Christians at the January feast of Epiphany, the celebration of God’s incarnation represented by the visit of the Magi to the baby Jesus (Matthew 2:1), his baptism in the Jordan River by John the Baptist (John 1:29), and his first miracle at Cana (John 2:1). During this season of preparation, Christians would spend 40 days in penance, prayer, and fasting to prepare for this celebration; originally, there was little connection between Advent and Christmas.

By the 6th century, however, Roman Christians had tied Advent to the coming of Christ. But the “coming” they had in mind was not Christ’s first coming in the manger in Bethlehem, but his second coming in the clouds as the judge of the world. It was not until the Middle Ages that the Advent season was explicitly linked to Christ’s first coming at Christmas."

(https://www.christianity.com/christian-life/christmas/what-is-advent.html )

The past week has been filled with joy, but also mixed with sadness and a feeling of impending doom.  I have been fighting to stay floating on the surface. To remain positive, in the moment and strong.

You see, this year, I am waiting in the darkness.  My son will go to prison on December 5th. For 13 months.

My father, at our family dinner last week asked him if he was indeed going "to the joint" as my son was giving him an arm to lean on as he walked slowly to his car. My father suffered a stroke several years ago and since has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He is usually nonverbal. But he is actually thriving under my mother's care.

Still, we do not know how long he will be with us.  So when he told my son, "You will be fine. I will see you when you get out", we all shed a tear.

13 months will go by. It is not the sentence we were hoping for, but it could have been much worse.

My father, however is imprisoned in his deteriorating body. His mind is still intact.  But movement, and sometimes even talking can be painful.

My son will serve his sentence. And hopefully it will strengthen his character.  But my father will continue to decline. Slowly, we hope. And we hope that we will all be here when my son emerges
from the darkness into the light.

That day, after my son told us my father's words, he told us that he is feeling positive. He said, "I am looking forward to beginning my sentence, so I can put this behind me!"

I hugged him. I felt a well of love and pride that went deep into my motherly soul. 

And at dinner, as we  all went around the table and shared what we were thankful for, my son proclaimed, "I am thankful Jesus died on the cross for me and for my family, especially my new son".

Oh, it is so bittersweet to see someone we love suffer trials and overcome. 

It must be similar to what our Heavenly Father feels as He watches us flounder around in our mortal existence.

Speaking of which, I am playing the piano at a Saturday Mass today.  A new church.  I am going in early to go over the music with the cantor.

Tomorrow is my regular church job.

I went to Chinese food for lunch today. My fortune read:  "The man who rows the boat doesn't have time to rock it"!

And it reminded me that I was practicing being present in the moment, focusing on my work and being busy enough to not dwell on my anxieties.

I will be praying more. I will hopefully be blogging more.  Because, as I've shared in the past, it helps me to get the weight of my brain onto the paper, or in this case, a computer screen.

If you are a praying sort, please pray for my son, his baby boy, his fiance, her mother, and all who are incarcerated that they be treated with respect and dignity. And please, I ask humbly if you can pray for a me. A mother who is feeling the suffering of her son.  And who needs to remain strong and positive or else fear I may crumble!

On that note, I have to run and play a church service.

Tomorrow starts day 1 of the 6th month of intermittent fasting. It is working well for me.

Happy Saturday!

Peace,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i