Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone:

"Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!!

Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone!

Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face!

I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go!



After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.  

The icy tartness helped wake up my senses!

I am very tired today.  But I have a plan. I spent some time researching nutrition. I am going to try and take it to the next level with my eating.  I am working through the anxiety that food deprivation brings. I've been in this place before. My whole being is wrapped up in eating.  

At least, with my food addiction, while it is not good for my health, it is not illegal.  And food is necessary for survival.  But I need to keep reminding myself it is fuel, not entertainment.

Perhaps that deserves repeating, in large and bold font:

FOOD IS FUEL, NOT ENTERTAINMENT!

I was having trouble sleeping last night, again. Many racing thoughts. So, as usual, I got on the internet.  A dress caught my eye. It was long, with buttons up the front, flowered print. It reminded me of how I liked to dress in my late teens and early 20's.  When I had a waist.  I actually had an "hourglass figure".  Of course, I cannot find that dress now! But here is something similar, but on a much less skinny woman!


https://www.showpo.com/us/lone-traveller-maxi-dress-in-black-floral?spstid=2&gclid=CjwKEAjwqIfLBRCk6vH_rJq7yD0SJACG18fryALZgc96jbyQpNVY07rfIYTA7kgP4CND3GU4_vKSvRoCNQfw_wcB
Perhaps this can be my incentive to lose weight and get my hourglass back! A cool new dress! :)


I googled hourglass figure.  Up popped Marilyn Monroe.  I have read a lot about her.  She was quite radical for her generation.  Out of curiosity, I Googled "Marilyn Monroe's measurements".

Oy!
 

I discovered that my waist is the size of her chest at the time of this measurement!  DOUBLE OY!

I used to have a 26" waist back in the day.

I really do not know why I am so fixated on my belly these days.  Perhaps because it has become my mountain, so to speak.  It is a big road block to my successfully getting in shape. And it's roots go very deep.

I suppose that is why I blog. To get to the root of things. I said before, I am like an onion. Slowly peeling off the old, dry layers, hoping to find the real succulent me underneath!

But back to MM's measurements:

" So what size was Marilyn Monroe actually?  Luckily, many of her dresses, carefully preserved, are still around to measure off of.  Further, one of her dress makers also chimed in with exact measurements he took.  Those measurements were 5 ft. 5.5 inches tall; 35 inch bust; 22 inch waist (approximately 2-3 inches less than the average American woman in the 1950s and 12 inches less than average today); and 35 inch hips, with a bra size of 36D.  Her weight fluctuated a bit through her career, usually rising in times of depression and falling back to her normal thereafter, but her dressmaker listed her as 118 pounds and the Hollywood studios tended to list her between 115-120 lbs."http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/marilyn-monroe-was-not-even-close-to-a-size-12-16/


I found an interesting article about how she stayed in shape.  Her diet was mostly protein - raw egg in warm milk for breakfast, carrots and steak or liver for dinner, ice cream for dessert. I find it interesting that she had a consistent exercise regimen. Although it was short, it sounds like it was a routine she stuck to. I recall seeing pictures of Marilyn jogging, before it was the cool thing to do!
You can read more about it here:  https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/marilyn-monroes-workout-diet-89986790685.html

Marilyn Monroe died when she was 36.  So young. 20 years younger than me. So I am blessed to be given longer on this planet. I am fortunate that I do not have any serious health problems, aside from my sometimes negative attitude and depression.

My next level in terms of eating, will be to greatly reduce carbs.  In addition to eliminating gluten, sugar, processed meats, red meat and fried foods. I love rice, but for now, I am going to give it up. I'm going to try and stay away from dairy, except for yogurt and goat cheese. I may also reduce caffeine...ARRRGG!! My nephew has GERD. He had to go to the ER last week. His symptoms were similar to mine, but more severe. His doctor told him to cut out caffeine.  

Maybe next week...

But I had a successful lunch today. I went to NAMASTE before Mass.  It is an all-you-can eat Indian buffet.

I boldly walked past the rice, the bread, the red meat and the fried foods!  I had a plate loaded with fresh veggies, raita (a plain yogurt condiment), pickled veggies, lentils, chickpeas, curried chicken and watermelon.  I felt pleasantly satisfied and not stuffed after lunch. 



And most proud of self!!

I did get really sleepy after Mass, however. I had planned to walk the upper grounds at the Grotto and read a bit. But I just sat and people watched before catching my bus here, to my home away from home. 

The public library.

And wouldn't you know, on my very sleepy day, I ran into my old bus driver flame: "HFKAR"!

We said hello, but nothing more. I didn't have the energy.  But I noticed he wasn't very upbeat either. He was not talking and smiling with passengers, like I remembered from our little rendezvous last summer.  

I had a little thought - perhaps we really did have some kind of magical "thing", whatever that was, for a short time.

It actually cheered me up.

And speaking of buses, last night at the MAX stop, on my way home from the gym, I had a wonderful encounter with two strangers my age. One was a Caucasian gay man, the other was an African American female. They were having an intense discussion about discrimination when I sat down. The man was sharing his Doritos with the woman.  After awhile, they changed the subject. The man looked at me and smiled. I had gotten out my knitting. He introduced himself. "A" The woman was "S".  A sighed. 

"Why can't people just be nice to each other?", he said.

"We are doing just that", said I!

"S" smiled at me. "Amen".  She asked about my knitting. I told her about my grandbaby on the way.

We talked about random things. Then the bus arrived. A was waiting for another line. S and I got on and chatted a bit, before her stop. But as she left, I had the warmest feeling.  

"We did change the world a little bit tonight, didn't we, S?" I said as she got up to leave.

"We did indeed. God bless you sister," she smiled and squeezed my hand.

It was a pleasant way to end an evening.  And something I hope to remember.  I told my new friends I force myself to keep up with the news. Even when it is ugly and violent.

"Because I want to always be informed, so I know what to pray for", I told my new friends.  They smiled and nodded.

Life can be messy, and scaring and overwhelming, but in my own corner of the world I am doing what I can. Just putting one foot in front of the other.

Like the priest at the Grotto said today in his sermon. "We need to remember that we are not the machine. We do not even run the machine. God does. He's in control. And there is freedom in letting go and trusting Him with our universe."



Have a lovely Sunday!

I am heading to the gym and then to bed early!


Talk to you tomorrow!


Peace and lots of love,


Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i