Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 217: Give Thanks and Don't Give Up!

First of all, let me apologize for my extended absence.

But I have a very good reason!

A baby boy was born into our family on Monday, November 4, 2019! Son of my son. My grandson!  Andrew Jose. He is so beautiful!  There is nothing like a newborn baby to heal and restore!
Andrew Jose


He was born 24 days early, but you wouldn't know it to look at him! He was a healthy 6 lbs, 6 oz and was 19 1/4 inches long!

Being born early and healthy are a blessing in itself. But to put the icing on the cake, this gives my son 24 more days to enjoy his presence until he goes away.

My son's fiance's mother calls it "furthering one's education". And that it shall.

I have had a lot on my plate, my heart and mind lately. I have missed sharing my thoughts with you all, but I've had much to ponder.

I was pondering, praying and literally feeling sorry for myself last week when I almost died.  Twice.

I was waiting for the walk sign at the crosswalk. I was very distracted with my "woe is me" thoughts. As soon as I got the "walk", I did just that. Let me add it was dark, I was wearing a long black coat and there are very few pedestrians here in Vancouver. I suddenly noticed the car turning left in the intetsection was not slowing down as they approached me! I leaped to the side, only to be blinded by a second pair of headlights in front of me. Somehow I avoided death by sprinting across the street. I said aloud, "What is wrong with people?!" I was shaken, but kept walking, turning on the flashlight feature of my phone. Oddly, there were no horns honking, no-one asked if I was ok. Maybe they didn't even see me?

I told myself I need to be more aware, more present.

And now I recall that two days ago, at the library I checked out several books about being more present, including a book by Thomas Merton and one by Thich Nat Hanh. I recalled a quote I read by Buddha last night, which said something like, "Be present or you will miss your entire life".

I realized if I had died in that crosswalk, my church choir would lose an accompanist, my kids would lose their mom, my grandchildren would lose their Zma, my parents would lose their daughter, my brother would lose a sister, my nieces and nephews would lose their aunt, my students would lose a teacher and my friends would lose a friend.

I was quiet during choir practice. I did not tell them what happened. I just focused on the music. But afterwards, as I walked back to the same intersection (with flashlight on!), I felt tears well up.
I think I have missed out on much of my life by not being present. I keep myself a bit removed from most people because of my perceived sensitive nature. I tell myself if I don't get too close, I won't get hurt.

I felt my spirits sinking very low. Feeling like I have let people down, most of all myself. Just then, I noticed a sign in front of me. I had the sense to take a picture of it. I will never forget the feeling that came over me, seeing it in my path when I needed it most!





Something shifted in my soul. A wave of gratitude and a feeling of Presence. My own and what I could only describe as the Holy Spirit.


And today I am feeling thankful again.  Coincidentally (or not), one of the songs we are singing in church tomorrow is "Give Thanks". I have been humming it all day.

 Give Thanks

by Don Moen

"Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us"

And today has been a very good day.

I hope to talk to you again soon!

Love,

Zita

P.S. I am still practicing intermittent fasting.  Going on my fifth month! Hooping daily and going to the gym 2 to  days a week.  Also, my lungs and sinuses are at this moment clear! :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist