Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 339: Retreat

Hello Friends! 

Once again, I apologize for my absence.  I have been on a bit of a retreat lately.

A retreat of the water fasting kind.  

And a 21- day personal challenge.  To make some major changes. 

Mostly of the losing weight, improving health, relieving pain, increasing flexibility and gaining energy kind.

I am on a mission. 



 I am super motivated to take my personal improvement to the next level for several reasons:

  1. I gained nearly 10 pounds during quarantine. Anxious eating, and a lot less walking did it!
  2. I began selling Avon again.  And ironically, a picture popped up in my Facebook memories from 2009, when I was last an "Avon Lady".  A very overweight me! I am pleased with my progress, these last four years but I feel I can do so much more!
  3. I am in pain. All of my joints ache. It is hard going up and down stairs. I have to like hoist myself up using the handrail. I live in the basement of a 3 story townhouse. And I have a 2 1/2 year granddaughter who I care for. She loves playing hide and seek, and of course running up and down stairs! I must admit, several times I slid down the stairs on my bottom (it's carpeted - the stair, not my bottom!) instead of limping down.
So I am on Day 4.  I have lost 4 pounds. I feel more energetic.  I am really sore, but that might be because of the Kung Fu stick workout I did yesterday! (I found the most wonderful channel on Youtube. He combines Kung Fu with Qi Gong! It's called "Kung Fu Life" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaDeD4g8bMtEzJNFfJIP9dA)


I am so proud of my progress! The timing was perfect for my retreat. My daughter, granddaughter, son-in-law and Honey Dog spent the last 4 days at the beach.  

However, my retreat did coincide with my mother's 77th birthday. We have had several celebration lunches and breakfasts already.

But I took this into consideration. One must enjoy life, family and friends, even whilst water fasting!

I did much careful planning, down to the food I would eat, when I would eat, how much water I would drink and what healthy activities I would do.  I dyed my hair. I bought a new water bottle. It is phenomenal. It is a "Hydrology Water Bottle with 3 LIDS (Straw) Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Hydro Sports Hot & Cold Flask Leakproof Sweat Free Thermos (Aquamarine, 22 oz)"  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZK9GF9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am downing 3 of those bad boys filled with ZenWtr a day. I buy bottled water because I hate the taste of tap water. I loving my new water bottle! I fill it with ice and ZenWtr and it stays icy cold all day. At least it is supposed to! I crave the stuff, so it doesn't sit long!

I would eventually like to try a true water fast. What I'm doing now is what I've been doing for the past year - intermittent fasting. But I narrowed my window. I am doing a rigid schedule. I drink only water after 2:00 p.m. I usually have my first meal about 9:30 a.m., unless I am meeting my mom for breakfast. She has always been a super early bird. She's not about to change now. So I humor her. Actually waking up early consistently is a goal of mine. I enjoy my walks in the park, when my only company is the birds. And they be singing!

My daughter and fam came back tonight. So my retreat is pretty much over. But I hope to keep my eating routine going. I am challenging myself on super strict discipline for 21 days. If I  show significant results, I will keep going! If not, I will have to tighten my belt, or narrow my window!

Here is a sample day from my retreat:

6 a.m. rise, drink water with vitamin C and magnesium powder
6:15 a.m. Qi Gong stretching and breathing.
6:30 walk 1/2 mile to bus stop
7:00 a.m. Breakfast with Mother
9:00 a.m. Grocery shopping
10:00 a.m. nap
11:00 a.m. Qi Gong and weighted hula hoop workout
12:30 p.m. Lunch
2:00 pm begin water fast.
2:00 p.m. to about 5:00 p.m. Teach piano students
5:30 p.m. Housework, reading, watch Youtube videos. I am following a kung fu master, a Qi Gong teacher, an aboriginal didgerdoo player from Australia, a ukelele instructor and Tom Grant, a jazz pianist from Portland, Oregon.

I have been practicing didgerdoo, ukelele, Qi Gong and piano.  I also have been attending "Wednesday Night Live with Tom Grant" concerts on Facebook.

See what I can do when I have all this time saved by fasting!

I have been taking a photo every morning of me in the same workout clothes to show my progress. But I will not post before and after pictures until after 21 days.

I have also started doing Qi Gong/ Weight hoop videos again. Documenting keeps me honest. And motivated.


I also hope by blogging about my journey, to keep myself motivated, accountable and honest. That has been my whole focus these last four years of blogging

It works! Especially if I stick with it!

I hope you are well and finding some "me time".  Remember, you are the only one who can make time for yourself. Use it wisely!

Talk to you tomorrow. I hope!

Love,

Zita

P.S. (Oh and I did not mention how OVERJOYED I am to be selling products again! Not only do I simply love their skin care, but it is a wonderful tool for introverted old me to reconnect with friends.  I love packaging up their items and sending little samples and personal notes to them!  I horrible at small talk - so Avon fills that gap for me!)

P.P.S. Here is the painful 2009 Avon Lady Picture: 

Zita, Avon Rep - 2009
Here is a current Avon Lady picture:
Zita, Avon Rep - 2020
youravon.com/zitajefferson



Like my blog? I do this for free, for my sanity and hopefully for your enjoyment! If you are so moved, click on the button below, and contribute  a few bucks for my daily cup of tea! :) 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic