Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 301: Doing My Best Kurt Cobain



Hi Friends!


Let me start out by saying I've been a bit off today. I've fought to keep my head and spirits up.

It was hard work weaning myself off of Effexor.  And I am determined not to return.  Luckily I have an arsenal of tools at my disposal.


My most effective weapon against doom and gloom is working out at the gym with my son.


 Today was Day 6!  (Ironically, he is also quitting smoking. Today was his 11th day without a cigarette. Woot woot! He told me he absolutely NEEDS to workout. It is his new addiction. Two nights ago, after hanging out with with his son and daughter (my 5th grandbaby!), I was tired and about to head home to my man.  I've been feeling turbulence in the sea of our relationship lately.  Probably due to my bipolarness.  But he's still here. And I love him for sticking by me. 

Anyway, I was about to leave, when my son said he was going to the gym. It was already close to 8 p.m.  I told him I was awfully tired and needed to see my man, whom I had not seen since the morning. My son looked at me and said in a most stern voice, "Mom, you need to workout as much as me. And we don't get enough time to hang out together".

Well, shoot. Who can resist that? My grown 29 year-old son wanting to spend more time with his mom?  I agreed, discreetly trying to wipe away a tear.

He was right. I needed it.  Just walking into the gym makes me feel alive.  I've been doing cardio first. Usually 30 minutes on the Elyptical. Today, I only had time for 12 minutes.  Then I do a bit of an Arnold Schwartzneggar workout:  Day 1: Back/Biceps. Day 2: Chest/Triceps. Day 3: Legs. I usually do abs everyday and rest 2 to 3 days a week. 

That's the plan anyway. I intend to stick to my workouts for my physical, mental and emotional health. Oh yeah, and my hanging out with my son health. :)

I haven't done a leg day yet, I must confess. My knees have been bothering me.  I still have about 30 pounds to shed, so I want to be careful.

So, I made it to the gym this morning. As usual, I was glad I did!  Then I headed to work. I have another confession here. I didn't have much time for lunch before my first class, so I did McDonald's drive thru. (DON'T JUDGE ME - IT MADE ME SO HAPPY!) 

The McDonald's near my work is drive thru only. And I have a gazillion points on my McDonald's app.  I was so happy to be eating a McDouble and fries whilst slurping on my Diet Coke, listen to 105.9 The Brew (my new favorite radio station) underneath my favorite tree before heading into work.  And it only cost me $3.00!

But the calories, oy the calories! I definitely will be heading to the gym tomorrow. Luckily, I packed some stewed Swiss Chard and homemade barbecue beans for a snack. 


And now I am sipping tea at the Starbucks near work.  My phone was only at 5% when I left. And I feel my spirits were at about 3%.  I needed to charge my phone, blog and charge myself!


But, even during my somewhat low day, some amazingly beautifully sweet encounters happened! 

There are, of course, the grandbabies. 


Pictures of all my grandchildren in various poses of preciousness and utter adorableness were shared with me. Then my oldest grandchild called to tell me thank you for the presents I sent her and her baby sisters.  Her mom told me later she was at the table working on the arts and crafts I sent, 2 hours and counting!

And the twins were playing with their genius mobile. I don't remember what it's called. It is a miniature of what you usually find in pediatrician's offices.  Wires and beads to maneuver, like a wild abacus.  Apparently the love it!

Moments with my grandkids near and far fills me with intense joy. 


Always.

But I must tell you the highlight of my day. 


It was in the group piano class I teach on Monday's. My first class of the week.  It is a beginning piano class made up of 4 boys and 2 girls, ages 8 to 10. 


I didn't get there as early as I would have liked. They were all waiting in the hall for me when I appeared, huffing and puffing. I told them I didn't have time to sanitize the pianos. 


"We'll help!" they chimed. 


So they came in and helped me wipe down the keyboards. Then we had "circle time". I always start my classes by asking my students to tell us something interesting, fun, weird, or whatever they wanted to share about their week.


One of the older boys raised his hand. I called on him.  


"Teacher Zita, I want to ask you, how was YOUR week?"


Friends, I almost lost it right there. I got all choked up. I looked at him and said, "Thank you. In all of my years of teaching here, no one has ever asked me that!"


He smiled.


I told the class I had a very nice week with my son who I was lifting weights with at the gym. I flexed my bicep for emphasis. They all oooed and awwed appropriately.  Then I told them I got to spend time with my new granddaughter, Aria. "That's a musical name, by the way", I informed them. Making it a teachable moment.  And hopefully giving me a moment to get myself together.


Another boy raised his hand. I called on him.


"I have a friend at school named Aria", he said proudly.


"It is a beautiful name", I said smiling.  I took a deep breath and we got into our lesson for the day.


But my lesson for the day is that I need to take time to allow people to give me kindness. I get on my high horse a bit about how much I help others and take care of people and give, give, give.

But I think I have a bit  of an Eeyore, "No one cares about me" mindset that I am having a hard time shedding.

I mean, my 29 year-old son wants to hang out! My 9 year-old student didn't want to tell me about his week, he wanted to hear about MY week!


I guess I'm kind of important.

Sigh.

In a way, it's easier being an Eeyore!

But I'm ready to be more of a Tigger now!  Lifting weight brings out the beast in me. I hope I don't go to the other side of the spectrum and become overly aggressive.  In the pictures with my son, I am horrified at how big my arms are.  Truthfully, they are just big, not muscular like my son's.  I want to be strong and fit and healthy ad perhaps a bit sexy. But not manly.  

Although another peculiar development:  I want to sing Nirvana and Motley Crue at karaoke.  

That's another story, I'll save for another post.  But to give you a bit of background - I have a low voice for a female. One I have always been ashamed of. And one of my deepest desires is to sing my heart out and receive thunderous applause. Not drunk karaoke applause. But real appreciate applause.

Not sure if that will ever happen. But I downloaded the chords for "Home Sweet Home" and "Lithium" and spent a bit of time at the end of my shift doing my best Kurt Cobain!

Amusingly enough, as I headed out, I noticed I was the last instructor to leave. And the office staff was jamming on guitar and trying some Jimmi Hendrix licks.

It has been a surreal day.  But I have survived. And hopefully I will remember to be grateful for what I have when tomorrow comes.


On that note, I wish you a happy Monday. We'll talk soon!

Love,


Zita











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic