Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 302: A Single Step

 "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." Lao Tzu


My online piano lesson setup



Hi Friends!

My man and I sat down at a corner coffee shop the other day and actual wrote out a hypothetical daily schedule. I was so happy! But I tried to contain myself. People like me get super excited about planning our days in advance. I like having a structure of daily required activities.  I do leave room for flexibility.

Once I have my schedule, I can breathe. I can also be creative within that structure.

What do I do daily?  I teach piano.  I make my bed. Do laundry for the household. I shower.  I pray. I plan meals. (For the time being, I only make one big meal a week at my son's house.  Then I package up portions for everyone in attendance. The original goal was to help them with meals since the birth of my newest grandchild, Aria. But everyone is really enjoying these Sunday meals, including me! So they will continue.  This Sunday we're making homemade fish and chips, with a beerless batter - for my son's diet).

What do I do several days a week?

I workout at the gym, usually with my son. If I don't get time for a gym workout, I walk, stretch and hoop. 

I visit with my man, family and friends.

I blog (sometimes even daily!)

I play the piano, for work and pleasure! I accompany a choir at the music center where I teach. I practice their accompaniment. I practice my student's pieces, especially if they are quite advanced. And I work on tunes I'd like to karoake.

About that. Karaoke. I am being a big chicken.  I have a few songs I think I can sing decently, but I am nervous about going up to the DJ! I have a lot of shyness still left over from childhood.  I have overcome quite a bit socially. Being a teacher and musician has helped enormously. 

Conversations still make me nervous.  Even conversations with loved ones.  I have to breathe deeply through my nose and out my mouth to stay in the present moment. 

I'm a work in progress!

It's the first step that is the hardest.  What is that saying?

Oh yes:

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." Lao Tzu

I like this so much, I think I will use it as my heading today! :) And, gulp, even more courageously, I shall actually apply this to real life!  I have been practicing my karaoke songs, but I have not made the first step towards the DJ.

My sweet man said he will walk up there with me next time.  Next time begin next Thursday.  I will keep you posted!

So, I came on today to talk about scheduling. And I ended up talking about karaoke.  See! I have a structure to my blogging, just like real life! But I love when I get sidetracked!  Blogging is like that for me. I have a general idea about what I want to tell ya'll when I sit down, but soon my fingers are typing as if they have a mind of their own. Thoughts and feeling come out of my soul, through my brain and outta my fingers like magic!

And I always come away with a new perspective.

Today I am a bit rambly.  Today is a bit of a day off. On Fridays, I usually just teach two brothers for 1 1/2 hours altogether. Lately I come up to the library afterwards to check out books and movies. And blog. It is a nice little routine.  

Remind me next time to talk about my online piano lessons. I think I finally discovered a near perfect solution! But I do need to sign off soon. I'm tired and hungry. And there is a young man, talking loudly to himself at the computer about his "inalienable rights". Those are the only coherent words I can pick up. The library staff stopped by a few minutes ago and asked him to leave. They said he was kicked out of another library yesterday for being aggressive with staff. 

He is refusing to leave.  Not sure if it's about to get ugly. But I think I'll play it safe.  I'm looking forward to a relaxing evening.  

I have a date to stay home with my man, watch movies and eat munchies.  I may also knit some hats. And finish reading that Stephen King book I picked up a few weeks ago. 

And maybe practice my karaoke songs.


Days off are super cool!


Happy Friday!

Love,


Zita


Day 7: Son and Mom workout

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic