Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 59: With Flashlight and Mace in Hand

Saturday, October 6, 2018.

I have not blogged for five days. It was a busy week. Fall term at the music center where I teach piano began on Monday.

I am trying to avoid social media with all the political frenzy.  I am attempted to stay informed by reading several news sources daily. But choosing not to take sides. Yet.

I have my own life to get in order. But I am being watchful.  This country seems to be in a very precarious position.

I am also a wee bit exhausted.  I have had incredible teacher-student moments this week.  In particular a brand new beginning class made up of all middle school students. In the past, I have been a bit apprehensive about this age. But this group rocked!  I decided to teach them the stories and songs I made up for the younger kids and they loved it! 

I am wondering if becoming a grandma has made me a better teacher?  I am older, more patient and grateful for each day. Hopefully a bit wiser too. 

The fun thing about teaching piano in a group setting is that there is an opportunity for connections to be made between the kids.  I saw that all week. And I paid attention to the dynamic. So each class was slightly different. 

I spent a good deal of time at the beginning of each class in "circle" time, getting to know each student and telling them a bit about me.  I bragged about my granddaughter Grace, and told the kids that she is only 13 months old, but already very musical!  I saw some heads nodding. Perhaps they are thinking of younger brothers and sisters.

But there was a palpable feeling of enthusiasm and excitement in the air.  I think this is going to be a good year!

I also made a decision, just yesterday to reschedule my upcoming solo concert. I was starting to feel much anxiety.  I just didn't feel like I had time to prepare. I have just begun researching the composers I want to focus on. I have picked my musical selections.  But the original concert day was right before Thanksgiving. 

With my granddaughter watching, piano teaching, family needs and getting my health back on track, there is not enough time to practice. I do not want to fly by the seat of my pants. I am excited about my theme. So I rescheduled for early winter.  After the holidays.

I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. 

Today, I had some time between students to practice.  And with the extra time I have bought myself, I can explore a few more pieces before I settle on the program.

Relief can bring such happiness!

Speaking of happiness, I had a very pleasurable bus ride home after choir practice Tuesday night.  First, let me tell you, I could feel a very bad mood threatening to take over when I discovered I had to wait 29 minutes for the bus going downtown.  For some reason, two busses in a row had been canceled. And here I was so excited about catching the 105 I-5 Express from downtown Portland to downtown Vancouver. The last one of the night leaves at 7:20 from downtown Portland.

But with the bus cancellations, I would never make it.

I decided not to be the victim of negative thinking. I simply crossed the street to catch another bus. I would not be able to take the express, but I could relax and get caught up on the news.

Alas, my phone was dying. 

Which was yet another reason why I could get very grumpy. Since it was so late (after 9:00 p.m.), I had planned on ordered Lyft from Vancouver, so I would not have to walk home through the park across from our home after 10:00 p.m.

Before dark, it is a lovely, family oriented park.  Kids on the playground, swinging, and squealing. Families having picnics. Teenagers shooting hoops. Adults playing baseball. 

But after dark, it becomes deserted. After 10:00 p.m. they close the restrooms. It is a different world then.  Shadows lurk. I often hear groups of teenagers cursing and laughing. Much cigarette and other things being smoked. And in the little wooded area, I've seen tents.  I have to pass those woods on a little wooden bridge over a slimy green creek. I always walk with a flashlight and mace.

And a thudding heart. And much prayer.

I would be walking through the park at roughly 11 p.m. since I missed the express bus.

Only, when I got to the Delta Park Transit Center, I had another blow.  The bus over the bridge, the #60 was not parked and waiting as I was accustomed to earlier in the evening.  I spoke to an older lady and gentleman. They took that bus nightly. The lady said the schedule had changed and she had to "freeze waiting 20 minutes every night".

Finally it arrived.

But then we all gasped in unison. I-5 was a parking lot!  Apparently there was bridge work being done. I looked at my cell phone, it was powering off. 

Still, I told myself I had my family. I was alive. I had a job I loved. God had taken me this far in life. I would not let my emotions drag me down. It was chilly on the bus. But my neck hurt. I took off my jacket and used it as a pillow to rest my head against the window.

There was man that resembled Hugh Laurie sitting in the seat in front of me. Possibly a homeless, drug addicted Hugh Laurie.  He smiled at me.  He seemed restless. He was talking to the bus driver about the traffic.

Suddenly he looked at me and told me he had a song stuck in his head.  "Another Bites the Dust", he grinned.

I smiled. I said, "Another One Rides the Bus!"

We both laughed.

Then we had the most lovely conversation. He told me about his road trips across the United States from Florida to Oregon. We talked about music.  He told me about his visit to Elvis Presley's mansion.

Soon we had crossed over the bridge to Washington.

At the first stop, the bus lingered. A woman, looking quite intense was screaming. A young man climbed on board and told us she is always walking around downtown screaming.

"At least today she is wearing clothes!" He said.

We all peered out the window at her. The young man said she is regularly picked up for disruptive behavior. At times she brandishes a knife.

But apparently today was a good day.

At the next stop I got out to transfer to "The Vine".  This was my final bus for the evening. It would let me off near the thug park.  Hugh Laurie's twin got off with me.  We continue talking on the Vine.  In the back of the bus a young man was playing a guitar. He was amazing.

"Segovia!"  Said my friend.

I nodded.

Finally my stop came up.  I thanked my new friend for making a long trip enjoyable. He smiled and tipped his baseball cap at me. He looked grateful that I acknowledged him.

And with a light heart, I practically skipped home.  When I reached the park, I actually jogged.

With flashlight and mace in hand.

I obviously made it home in one piece.

I am glad that I didn't judge this man by his appearance.  Perhaps I am too trusting, but I really did have a delightful conversation. Much more enjoyable than reading political rants and raves on Facebook or playing mindless Words with Friends.

Being aware comes in many forms.

Putting down my cell phone is a first step!

But I will continue to keep mace and flashlight in hand when I walk through Thug Park at night!

On that note, I wish you a lovely evening.

I will talk to you soon!

I am still working on eating healthier and exercising more.  A lifelong process I am sure!

Love,

Zita
Me in Thug Park (before dark)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i