Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 63: Call Me Peculiar...

"Call me peculiar, but slate gray skies make me happy", I thought this morning as I leaned my head against the window of the Max train heading to downtown Portland.

Lately, I think in sentences that are perfect blog openers.

That's peculiar in and of itself!

It was chilly this morning when I left home. I walked through the park, kicking colored leaves with my boots as I walked. I could see my breath in little puffs in front of me as I walked.  I felt light-hearted.

I don't often feel light-hearted. I am often pre-occupied. Either worried, or pondering, or planning.

But I felt genuinely good and happy to be alive.

I have been pondering the connection between memory and emotion lately.  The slate gray skies and cool weather bring back memories of me being in a happy state.  I don't recall any particularly moment, just the feeling that I have looked at these same skies in this same emotional state many, many times before.

I wish my nose was functioning properly. I have lost my sense of smell again. Sadly, at my favorite time of year. I love the smell of rain and yes, evening pumpkin spice!

But sadly, I cannot smell any of it.

My head is clogged again.  My eyes are itching too.  I am wondering if it is an allergy, a head cold or the flu.

I have never gotten a flu shot. I've been tempted, especially when my place of employment offers free flu shots. But I have yet to succumb. A little paranoid am I.

Years ago, when attempting to boost my daughter's immune system, I would make a concoction of freshly squeezed lemon juice, minced garlic, honey and cayenne pepper.

I've read on the internet similar recipes.  With the addition of freshly minced ginger.

One of my piano student's mothers swears by freshly minced ginger daily. She said it cured her son's asthma.

So I made my own natural flu shot.  There are many recipes online. But I basically minced up about 4 cloves of garlic with about 1/2 inch of minced ginger root, the juice of one lemon, about 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon honey. I put this concoction in my teapot and added boiling water. I let it steep for at least 5 minutes. Then I put about 1/4 cup in a mug and added a black tea bag and more boiling water.

I swear I felt my sinuses open as I drank it!

Plus, I went to pho with my daughter and my granddaughter yesterday.  Speaking of memories, memories of eating pho with my kids is permanently lodged in my hippocampus.  Even without my sense of smell, the pungent broth was extremely soothing.

My daughter whispered "Mom!" in embarrassment when I pulled my glasses off and put my face over my bowl, inhaling the hot steam.

It actually tickled me that I still embarrass her.

I am in the library looking out the window at the sky.  There is some blue peeking through and some fluffy white clouds have floated in.   No rain or wind, but brisk.  Chillier than it has been. My earlier feeling of bliss has passed.  I am feeling weary.

I had a lovely rehearsal this morning for a school musical. First graders singing about insects. So precious. 

Then I took myself out for a lunch of hot and sour soup and cashew nut shrimp.  I had a student scheduled, but she cancelled due to illness. So have a few hours to kill before choir practice. 

I wish I could go take a nap somewhere.  I regret that I didn't bring my gym clothes. But knowing how tired I have been lately, I decided to give myself a break from my heavy backpack.

I am thinking I will go to Starbucks and order a "Citrus Defender".  And do some reading.

I am enjoying several books at the moment.  I had downloaded the original Odyssey by Homer onto my Kindle, but found the language difficult to digest. I found a version translated by Emily Wilson, who is the first woman to translate The Odyssey into English.

It is lovely!  I am entranced. She wrote it in iambic pentameter, which really makes it flow!

The original text by Homer was written in dactylic hexameter. (https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/o/the-odyssey/critical-essays/literary-devices-of-the-odyssey)

Disclaimer: I vaguely recall iambic pentameter from college, so I had to look it up after reading the translator's notes in the introduction. Iambic pentameter is apparently common in Shakespeare, (who I discovered in my prepubescent years. I will have to revisit Shakespeare!) It has to do with the rhythm. Here is an good site that explains iambic pentameter if you are intrigued, as was I:

https://www.thoughtco.com/introducing-iambic-pentameter-2985082


Suffice it to say, I am so in love with this version!  I read it in bed before I go to sleep at night.  I am over half way through.  I have a stack of books ready and waiting. I am not sure what I will choose next. I will keep you posted!

I don't have it with me today. It is too heavy for my backpack. I just packed my music books and my Kindle. So on my bus ride, I will read Victory Over the Darkness: Realize the Power of Your Identity in Christ by Neil T. Anderson.

I will probably finish this book tonight.  It is one I will most likely reread. It is feeding and healing my soul. Especially the chapter on forgiveness. He suggests you make a list of all the people you would like to forgive in your life. Write their names, how they did you wrong and how it made you feel. Then intentionally forgive them all and destroy the paper.

That was one of the most healing exercises in my life! 

My list was 107 people.  I tore up the paper and let Baby Gracie play with the confetti. Then I put it in a plastic bag and threw it in the trash.



Instant relief!

Since then I have had a few people pop into my head that I need to forgive. So I just say "I forgive you" and let it go.

Now I should probably make a list of all the people I have hurt.  I wonder how long that list will be?  Of course, there will be people that I inadvertently hurt or offended. 

I wonder if I am on anyone's list?

Sobering thought!

Anyway,  I think I hear that "Citrus Defender" calling my name. Maybe I will get something chocolate to go with it. I am needing comfort.

Tomorrow I shall work on my diet again.  The last week I have been beyond broke. I have been packing my lunches, but allowing myself one item from my McDonald's app a day. I still seem to require a place to sit, eat and ponder whilst on the road.  But the sodium is definitely showing on my face.

Plus, I've been having a bowl of buttery, salted popcorn every night for the last several nights.  I seem to be desiring comfort lately. 

But my poofy eyes give my vices away!


It's oatmeal, oranges and greens tomorrow! Hide the salt and the butter!

Sigh. I would have nothing to blog about if I were perfect, right?

Talk to you soon!

Love,

Zita
Poofy Me






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i