Skip to main content

Day 338: Unicorns in the Bible!


I am still working out the kinks in my daily routine. I am going to try practicing piano first today. I find I get so sidetracked that I don't get enough time in, and then I feel stress. I have quite a few performances coming up. Do not need stress! 


So, my new daily plan will look something like this: 

  1. Wake up
  2. Pray
  3. Drink water and smoothie
  4. Piano practice
  5. Exercise
  6. Lunch
  7. Teach
  8. Read Bible and blog in between students
  9. Dinner
  10. Stretch
  11. Pray
  12. Bed
My daughter and I food prepped last night. We made enough crockpot meals for our family of four for the next 2 to 3 weeks.  We put them in bags and tossed them in the freezer. We have turkey, veggie chili going on right now. Man, does the house smell good!

My psalm of the day made me chuckle today. And got me curious about translations.  I read Psalm 29 in my King James Bible. Notice the appearance of the mythical unicorn in verse 6!  




Psalm 29

1 Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty,
        
give unto the LORD glory and strength.
2 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name;
        
worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. 
3 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters:
        
the God of glory thundereth:
the LORD is upon many waters.
4 The voice of the LORD is powerful;
        
the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.
5 The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars;
        
yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf;
        
Lebanon and Sir'i-on like a young unicorn.
7 The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire.
8 The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness;
        
the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve,
        
and discovereth the forests:
and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.
10 The LORD sitteth upon the flood;
        
yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever.
11 The LORD will give strength unto his people;
        
the LORD will bless his people with peace.


I found a nice article about unicorns at Creationtoday.org

I also checked a few of my other bible translations.  The NIV has the words "wild ox" instead of unicorn.  The ESV has "wild ox".  The New American Bible has "young bull". The New King James version uses "wild ox".  The Revised Grail Psalms also use  "wild ox"  

There is a lot of interesting speculation about unicorns in the bible:


 "...many Christian apologists are insistent that the King James Version is the most accurate of all the English translations. So because of this, some people, especially atheists, like to scoff at the Bible and make fun of it as a book of myths and fairy tales.
However, it is important to understand that the definition of the word “unicorn” has changed over time.
If you get an old 1828 Noah Webster’s Dictionary, which is the very first edition dictionary that Webster came out with about 200 years ago, and look up the word “unicorn” it says:
Unicorn – An animal with one horn; the monoceros. this name is often applied to the rhinoceros.
(This 1828 dictionary can be accessed free online. Just go to Google.com and type in “Noah Webster 1828” and it will be one of the first links that pop up.)
Notice how this 200-year-old definition of the word “unicorn” says absolutely nothing about a horse. It says nothing about a horse-like animal, or a mythical animal, or a fictitious creature. It says absolutely nothing about mythology whatsoever. But rather, it says that this is a name that is often applied to the rhinoceros. "

http://creationtoday.org/why-does-the-bible-mention-unicorns/


Whatever the explanation, it made me smile to think of a unicorn, the mythical kind I imagine as a white horse with a lovely long mane streaked with purple and pink and a big horn in the middle of its forehead, prancing around in biblical times!

And on this note, I shall prance myself to the gym.

Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist