Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 84: Balance Mode



A balanced day! At last! 

Since I last posted, I have been to hell and back! Sunday was an absolute #3:

I woke up feeling quite miserable: Congested, wheezing and full of negative thoughts. I wanted to remain in bed, but my mind was filled with thoughts of impending doom. Like, "What if this is the end?" "What if I never heal?"

I knew I had to get vertical. But the idea of talking to people, being friendly, putting forth any sort of effort at all was exhausting. It was getting late and I would not make it to my regular church in Vancouver on time. Then I remembered that the Catholic church downtown Vancouver had an 11:00 a.m. Gregorian Chant service. This got me moving! I have been wanting to attend this service for some time. My Catholic roots had been calling to me, plus my obsession with monks and contemplative life go way back. This would fit in with my day of isolation and solitude.  

It was the right thing to do.  My daughter, granddaughter and husband were leaving about the same time as I.  They asked if I would like a ride to the bus stop. I told them I would. They were attending a new church that morning. They asked if I would like to join them.

I told them I did not feel well, and did not think I could be friendly to "new people".  

My daughter turned around in her car seat and looked at me. One eyebrow was lifted. 

"OH!", she said with that annoying knowing tone in her voice. "Are we having a toxic day, Mom?"

I actually laughed.  Because she knows me so well. And yes, I was having a toxic day. My son-in-law looked at us in bewilderment until she explained our system to him.

He chuckled and said we were like the "Wind Talkers" of WW2 - we had our own "secret code".

As crazy as this sounds, this system of identifying my moods is really working.

Now to focus on my physical health. I have not been well lately. But this morning, I woke up feeling better then usual.  I ate relatively well yesterday, so I felt lighter. My cough has subsided.  

I have been making my version of "flu tea" every day. (I mince fresh ginger and put it in a tea pot along with a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice, turmeric, cinnamon, a few cloves and a few peppercorns, and a tablespoon of honey. I pour boiling water over the concoction and let it steep for a few minutes. Then I add it to my tea of choice.)

But this morning it occurred to me to actually eat some fresh, raw ginger with a tablespoon of honey.  I could feel the peppery spice work in my throat. Instant cough relief! 

My tummy feels better too.

I spoke with one of my student's moms whose whole family is sick with the flu. She texted me to cancel her daughter's lesson this afternoon. I gave her my flu tea recipe. She made it and was sipping it as we spoke!

Then I asked her if she knew how to make congee (she is Chinese). She told me she did and was making a pot for her husband. But then she told me there is a restaurant in town that makes SUPERIOR CONGEE!

I am so excited! It is called "Kenny's Noodles" on 82nd and Powell. I had no idea! I have passed that place  many a time on the bus.

We are making plans to meet for dinner some evening when the family is recovered. I can't wait!

But for now, it is so nice to have "me"  back.

I am not sure how long I will remain in balance mode. But I intend to enjoy it!
Talk to you soon!
Love,

Zita













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i