Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 87: My GERD



I am sitting here in the eating area of Fred Meyer's, working on my GERD.

Not my GED. I have a bachelor's degree.

My GERD:  Gastroesophageal reflux disease. I downloaded a few books on my kindle regarding acid reflux, chronic cough and diet.  And I read an article about GERD on the Mayo Clinic Website.

In case you're not familiar with GERD (for some reason, I just keep on typing the word GERD and snickering to myself. People are starting to stare
), here is some pertinent information:

"Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) occurs when stomach acid frequently flows back into the tube connecting your mouth and stomach (esophagus). This backwash (acid reflux) can irritate the lining of your esophagus.  

Common signs and symptoms of GERD include:
  • A burning sensation in your chest (heartburn), usually after eating, which might be worse at night
  • Chest pain
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Regurgitation of food or sour liquid
  • Sensation of a lump in your throat
If you have nighttime acid reflux, you might also experience:
  • Chronic cough
  • Laryngitis
  • New or worsening asthma
  • Disrupted sleep"
 (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gerd/symptoms-causes/syc-20361940)

I went through the list of symptoms. Check, check, check and check mate!

I am sure I've visited GERD before. But it has worsened lately.  I spent two days in bed last week.  It might have been the flu. But the intense fatigue, chills and body aches have subsided. I'm just left with the GERD symptoms.

And I take full responsibility.  I have relapsed into very poor eating habits.  While trying to spring my son from the joint, I put myself on a barebones food budget. Tried to eat most of my meals at home and limited my spending to $3 a day while traveling to Portland to teach. $3 a day pretty much gets you a senior tea and a hamburger from McDonald's. I was bringing along rice cakes and tossing the buns, but sometimes I would add fries.

Sigh.

I justified it by springing my son from the joint with the help of some wonderful earth angels. But the stress has lingered. And so has the poor eating habits.

I am just so tired.  So tired of planning what I eat. Packing healthy food. Only to find it doesn't help all that much.

I am coming to terms with the fact that I have a serious eating disorder.  Having lost my sense of smell has helped a bit.  I think my taste buds have been numbed.

But I still love me a cheeseburger, fries, chips and a diet Coke!

Sigh.

But listen to the list of food I need to avoid:

  • Chocolate (AACK!)
  • Cheese (DOUBLE AACK!)
  • Meat and high fat foods
  • Mint
  • Excessive Salt
  • Sodas
  • Caffeine
  • Acidic drinks like orange juice
  • Acidic foods like tomato sauce 
  • Alcohol
Good-Bye McDonalds!

I was pleased to find the author of the first book I perused was not a food Nazi.  He did say to avoid the above foods, not cut them out altogether. 

And you know what? I know this. I know not to eat a junk food diet, high in salt, fat and processed food.

I know this.  But I continue to do it.

Well, I don't think I can any longer. At least not in the near future. I feel like I ate shards of glass for breakfast. (True confession: I had a sausage biscuit, tea and a hashbrown. My last meal at McD's!)

But the pain has subsided a bit. So has the cough. Along with healthier eating, I am trying a 14 day course of Prevacid. I picked up the generic "Lansoprazole" at Freddy's for $5.99.  I chuckled when I typed the name. It reminded me of posole. Which I will have to avoid for awhile. Spicy food also irritate GERD!

And that irritates me! Grrr...

Also stress needs to be avoided.  So I am taking deep breaths, in through my nose and out my mouth. Plus I picked up the two seasons of  "Anger Management" with Charlie Sheen to watch tonight. I am limiting my binge watching of  Law and Order SVU to just one episode a night, followed by one episode of something humorous. I only wish there were more than three seasons of "Anger Management" - Most hilarious!

I should feel a bit better in a few days. But the slight, instant relief came from the teaspoon of baking soda I mixed into a bottle of coconut water a few minutes ago.

For my lunch on the road, I had two dolamathes (stuffed grape leaves), 7 green Greek olives, a small chunk of sheep's milk feta and a few capers from the deli. It cost $2.88, well under my daily food budget. Well, the water was $1.00 on sale, so I went a bit over. But well worth it. I ate slowly, savoring each bite. The brine from the capers and olives seemed to settle my stomach.  

I want to say I am going to stick to healthier eating, but I decided to take meds first to see if my symptoms subside.

If not, I may have to take a visit to the doc. 

Sigh.

I do also need to get back to daily exercising. I walk everyday, but it is not enough. 

For now, I am going to focus on rest, water and Prevacid. Oh, and a nice bowl of congee when I get home.

I am not ready to throw in the towel yet!

Talk soon. Hopefully in better health!

Happy Saturday.

Love,

Zita


Oy:  Look at this picture. I look miserable! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic