Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 234: 2020: A Mandala and A Prayer

Today is January 3, 2020.  I began writing this post on New Year's Day, but got sidetracked.

Happy New Year! The year 2020 - it sounds most science fiction!

I am sitting at Arby's recovering from New Years Eve overnight with a 2 year-old
 I will be going to the gym soon to work off this here beef n' cheddar.

Honestly, this New Year's Eve was probably the most enjoyable and memorable of my life.  We danced, we played "Nay" (Gracie's word for horse), we ordered McDonald's from Uber Eats.  I felt I needed a Diet Coke to make it through the evening. Grace got her first Happy Meal. She immediate took the bun off of her burger and peeled off the cheese before she ate it.  I ordered bottled water and apple slices for her so she didn't get too much junk in her system.

I was supposed to put her in bed at 9:30 p.m. But we were having so much fun!

And she told me "Zma, I'm not tired!"  I didn't want our special evening to dissolve in tears or a power struggle. So she stayed up. Until midnight!  I felt myself nodding off a couple of times during Toy Story 2.  Then I'd hear a little voice shriek, "Zma, wake up!"  I am so glad I had that Diet Coke!

At midnight, we heard firecrackers and what sounded like canons going off in the neighborhood. I said, "Happy New Year" to Grace at which point she looked at me and said, "Zma, I'm tired. I need my crib!"

So I picked her up, we brushed our teeth and then I lay her gently down in her crib and covered her with her blankie.

Watching her sleep, I told myself I am blessed.

And I am!

While I was sitting at Arby's, I read from Illuminating the Way: Embracing the Wisdom of Monks and Mystics by Christine Valtners Paintner, the following prayer. And then I drew my first mandala!

My therapist says I have a "lone wolf" personality.

I didn't have time to hoop, but yesterday, I did some Qi Gong in a Starbucks bathroom! Hence my new YouTube series "Qi Gong in Small Spaces". Hey,  you can't say I am not determined to get my daily exercise !

And now I must run. But I leave you with a mandala and a prayer!


The Canticle of the Creatures
by St. Francis of Assisi
"Most High, all-powerful,
good Lord,
yours is the praise,
the glory and the honor and every blessing.
To you alone, Most High,
do they belong,
and no one is mworthy
to speak your name.
Praised be you, my Lord
with all your creatures,
especially Sir Brother Sun,
who is the day through whom
you bring us light.
And he is lovely, shining
with great splendor,
for he heralds you, Most High.
Praised be you, my Lord,
through Sister Moon and Stars.
In heaven you have formed them,
lightsome and precious and fair.
And praised be you, my Lord,
through Brother Wind, through
air and cloud, through calm
and every weather by which
you sustain your creatures.
Praised be you, my Lord,
through Sister Water,
so very useful and humble,
precious and chaste.
Praised be you, my Lord
through Brother Fire,
by whom you light up
the night, and he is
handsome and merry,
robust and strong.
Praised be you, my Lord,
through our Sister, Mother Earth,
who sustains us and directs us
bringing forth all kinds of fruits
and colored flowers and herbs.
Praised be you, my Lord
through those who forgive
for your love
and who bear sickness and trial.
Blessed are those
who endure in peace,
for by you, Most High,
they will be crowned.
Praised be you, my Lord,
through our Sister Bodily Death
from whom no living being
can escape.
How dreadful for those
who die in mortal sin!
How blessed are those she
finds in your most holy will
for the second death
can do them no harm.
O praise and bless my Lord,
thank him and serve him
humbly but grandly."


Happy Friday!

Love,

Zita

My Prayer Mandala based on St. Francis:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i