Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 237: Her Name is Mildred

I am buried in work. Spiritual work. Soul work.

I love it!

Now that things are coming together in my being, I was a tad worried that I would get sidetracked with the normal things in life. Like working for a living and stuff. 

But winter term has begun, and I feel that I have more than enough energy for it all!

When I feel myself slipping, and the negative voice returning, I just face whatever it is that is making me uncomfortable.

O.K. Truth be told, I have named "the voice".

Her name is Mildred.

She is a judgmental, mean spirited voice. And she pops up in my head at the most awkward times.  But I have her in check! If someone bumps into me on the bus, and Mildred says something mean, like, "Watch where you're going as*hole", I just chuckle and say (this is all inside my head, mind you), "Oh Mildred. Go back to your cave".

I know how this sounds.  Absolutely bonkers. But realizing that the negative voice is just my brain (Mildred), blathering on, and I am not this voice, has helped enormously.

I am working on some techniques now to face my inner negatively. The pain I've shoved down deep inside to deal with later. Or maybe even try to forget.

But it always comes up, doesn't it? The old hurts.

So when a painful memory pops up, I breathe. And then I face it. And try to release it.
My newest mandala

Breath work is not new to me. I discovered years ago, that taking a deep breath before performance, put me in my zone and in the present moment.  And helped quell my anxiety.

Michael Singer, the author of the book I am currently inhaling (The Untethered Soul) also suggest using breath.

So I am breathing. I am releasing.

I am also still creating mandalas in my spiritual journal. I find this exercise  most peaceful! 

I may achieve my lifelong pursuit yet - Inner peace!

I've been seeking it pretty much my whole life.  I remember longing for calm inside even as a small child. Of course, I didn't call it inner peace then. But I seriously think I knew what I lacked.  Maybe I just wanted the opposite of chaos and fear.

Perhaps.

Oh, but I could go on and on!  I am making a daily appearance to the gym.  I am back on my intermittent fasting regimen, focusing on whole foods, mostly vegetarian.

I try to hoop daily, but my granddaughter has been having trouble sleeping, so none of us gets up very early in our home. But I am continuing my rather humorous "Qi Gong in Small Spaces" regimen.

It's amazing what just a few minutes every day can do.  I tell my piano students that constantly!  Practice every day, even if it is only a few minutes. Make it a good habit and you will see progress!

Oh, but I need to head out to choir practice. I will hopefully have a chunk of time tomorrow to go deeper.  But for now, I wish you a happy Wednesday!


Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

P.S. Here is a video of Day 4 of "Qi Gong in Small Spaces"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist