Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 317: Snow in April

 Hi Friends!

I am gazing out the window as I type this. Big, plump, white snow flakes are descending from a slate grey sky.



It has been snowing since very early this morning. All of the school districts have closed due to the snow and power outages. I am waiting to hear from the music center. Usually when Portland Public Schools close for inclement weather, they are closed as well. I only have on in-person class on Mondays, the rest of my students have private, virtual lessons. I will most likely be teaching from home today.  

It is actually pretty exciting to have snow in April. The week before Easter no less!  I looked at the forecast for Easter Sunday, and they are predicting sunny with a high of 58 degrees! 

Today's high is only going to reach 44 degrees.  Low of 33 degrees.  In April!

I am going to head out soon to the gym. The snow is getting wetter - soon it will turn into rain. But the ground is still white.  I am going to wear double layers for sure!

After the gym, I am stopping by Taco Bell. I decided to buy the "Taco Pass".  For $10 you get a taco a day for 30 days.  This will certainly help me save money and give me a nice little stopping point to read before I teach. I might even to something super crazy today, time permitting! One of my gyms is just two blocks from a Taco Bell, on the bus line a few miles from my son's place. I might go work out, grab a taco and chill for a bit. Then there is another gym I belong to that is even closer to my son's.  This one has hydro massage tables and massage chairs.

Perhaps I will stop by for a little massage on the way home!

What a life! I may sound a bit loopy - I have 3 gym memberships, after all! - but I would rather spend the money on a good habit, rather than waste it on a bad habit. 


Speaking of which, I have decided to try the sober life. I do not drink much, but I enjoy the neighborhood bars that my man and I frequent.  I have found it empowering to go into a bar and order a nonalcoholic drink. One of my go to's is club soda on ice with a lime.  Or orange juice, club soda and lime.  Very refreshing! And I don't really miss the alcohol. In fact, the idea of alcohol these days turns my stomach.


Since I am moving into my own place soon (hopefully this week!), I am going to have to budget my money tightly.  Less restaurant food.  And the 5-spot I keep in my phone case as "mad money for the occasional video poker? Bye-bye!

I feels good to let go of things that no longer serve me.

If only I could let go of this spare tire around my waist!

It's living on borrowed time! I'm coming for you next spare tire!


On that note, Happy Snowy Monday!


Talk soon!

Love,


Zita





PS: AAAACCCKK! I just received a call from the Music Center. We ARE open! I better get going if I want to catch a taco and a workout!  (Massage will have to wait)


Talk soon!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic