Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 134: I'm Not Manic, I'm Happy! :)

"I'm not here to tell you that the world is actually fabulous, and you'll just have to damn well learn to appreciate it...Sure, there might be some nice things in the world. I guess. But there's also a lot of ugliness. And, even worse than that, is all the mundanity...The answer to getting better, and to not killing yourself, isn't in the kittens and puppies, it isn't in the clouds, it isn't in the orangutans in the rainforests or the fireworks in the night sky.
The core reason, the truest, most sincere reason to stay alive isn't really out there at all.
It's in you.
You are the key and the lock...It's a terribly sad state of affairs, but as long as you stay mute and withdrawn, the world just won't care about you. That's because it doesn't know you."
~"How Not To Kill Yourself: A Survival Guide For Imaginative Pessimists" by Set Sytes

I am still reading Shakespeare.  But the above book caught my eye at the library this afternoon. As usual, I felt drawn to it. It almost frikkin' jumped off the shelf at me. I sat down to blog, and read maybe half of this amazing little book.

It speaks to me, my friends.  

I posted the above quote on my Facebook page. Because in this age of skyrocketing suicide, I thought it might speak to someone else as well.

I am feeling pretty good today. My asthma is almost under control. My new inhaler ("AirDuo") is working wonders.  My mother, however is a bit worried. She thinks it might have sparked a bit of mania.  Apparently, I didn't not come up for air during a conversation (or should I say monologue) we had at our weekly breakfast at The Diner last week.  She times me. It was 17 minutes.

I told her I wasn't manic. I was just happy!  I could breathe! I had a good 6 hours of sleep the night before! I had energy! I was smiling! I also had a big cup of coffee right before breakfast!

Why do I always feel the need to apologize when I feel good? I get the sense that many of those around me prefer my depressed self.

I don't. However, I do appreciate my downs. Those days I prefer solitude. Not the solitude like Larry Newton, who Laura Bates wrote about in  Shakespeare Save My Life. Larry is doing life in prison with no possibility of parole. 10 years of that time was in solitary. Where he spoke to no one at all and lived 23 hours a day in a cell the size of a closet.

Not that kind of solitude.

Just quiet time. Freedom to read, walk, play my piano, journal without the expectation of engaging in social interaction with anyone. I am fortunate that I have created plenty of space in my life for healthy solitude.

It doesn't always work out that my up times are when I am teaching, performing or engaging socially with others. Nor do my down times always correspond with solitude.

Sometimes I have to force it.

Staying healthy is the key. I am working on that. Continually.

I have some stories to tell you and more thoughts to share, but I need to close for now. I am babysitting my granddaughter this afternoon. I have plans to get some used children's books at the bookstore - the kind with glossy pages full of pictures. And make paper doll chains from them.  

Plus I need to stop at the grocery store. A beef tamale crockpot casserole is calling my name.

Yup, I'm a bit manic. And loving it!
Not sure how long it will last, but while the energy is here, I will be making use of it!
Happy Sunday!
Talk soon.

Love

Zita


My latest Qi Gong/Hoop Video: Day 66! :0)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i