Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 247: Hooping at Dusk - A Happy Check in!

I had a mini breakthrough last night. Perhaps I should call it a mini RE-breakthrough! Because for the last couple of years I have noticed how much better I feel when I hoop daily.

But then we moved. I became overwhelmed by stress.  And I stopped hooping. There is really no space in our new place to hoop, so I've been waiting for warmer weather.

Yesterday, near dusk, something came over me. I grabbed my hoop and walked across the street to the park. And I did a short hooping session as sun slid over the horizon.

I met two people:  One, a young woman walking through the park carrying a hula hoop! She called out to me as she passed, "Is that a hoop you are carrying?"

I told her yes. We stopped and chatted. Hers was a small hoop, mine a big, weighted hoop. I told her I used mine for exercise. We both laughed about running into another hoop carrying woman in the park!

The second was a young man walking his toddler in a stroller. He inquired about my hoop. He said it looked heavy. I told him it was weighted and I used it for exercise. He and his little girl were very curious.

It was a small victory. But enough to lift me up!

I may not get a chance tonight, but my renewed goal is to wake up early enough to hoop at sunrise!

I am enjoying my monk meal plan.  But a funny thing happened today at lunch time. I sat down with my nice moderate lunch of rice, greens, a cornbread waffle, and chicken. Today being my moderate day. Yesterday was all vegan. My son-in-law sat down with his lunch on the other side of the table. I looked up. He had a big hunk of steak he was cutting up.  I groaned. He looked up and apologized for eating meat in front of me.

I laughed and said it was o.k. Yesterday was my vegan day!

We are all on different meal plans in our household. Me on the monk eating plan (vegan M, W and F; moderate on Tu, Thur and Sat, feast on Sunday. Eating cut off 6 p.m. at the latest). My son-in-law is on the carnivore diet - ALL animal products! He's really excited about this diet. He has done a lot of research. He is working on improving his energy and gut health. My daughter just needs to lose a few pounds. She is doing keto.

My granddaughter is on a meal plan all her own - Milk, pot stickers, cheese, pickled beets, cheese balls and chicken strips. Pretty much whatever we can get her to eat! Lately it's "Eggs, yucky!"

My life is a continual experiment. But I am finding some constants. I need to exercise my body mind and spirit on a daily basis, look for the light and never give up hope!

On that note, I need to run. Just wanted to do a happy check in!

Happy Thursday!

Love,

Zita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic