Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 244: Here I Am!

Greetings!

I have missed talking to you, my dear reader, more than you can imagine! The last few week have been a whirlwind.

Intense, illuminating, stressful, rewarding, and often comical.

Take Sunday for example. My daughter woke up just as I was leaving our apartment. She turned on the tea kettle. Then she asked me my plans for the day.

Oh, just going to play the piano at church, visit Andrew in jail, go teach a piano student and then go to the gym. You know - church, jail, piano, gym. The usual.

What a life!

In addition, we have moved!  Thankfully it was in the same apartment complex. But a bigger unit. I am in the basement, which I am actually quite enjoying.  I am still unpacking boxes and trying to make the best of my space. But I sleep like a log!

I also quit my church job.

I told you it's been a whirlwind! And speaking of whirlwind, I am feeling the winds of change!

I am practicing Hesychasm. 

"Hesychasm (from the Greek for "stillness, rest, quietsilence") is a mystical tradition and movement that originated with the Desert Fathers and was central to their practice of prayer."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Fathers)

I am reading a wonderful book by Christine Valtners Paintner: The Wisdom of the Body: A Contemplative Journey to Wholeness for Women
I checked it out from the library, but I probably need to purchase it because I am fighting the urge to underline nearly every sentence in the book!

As usual, I am working through many internal issues, mostly to do with my overactive mind and sensitive emotions.

I just finished the chapter where she talks about the Benedictine rule of showing hospitality:

"1 All guests who present themselves are to be welcomed as Christ, for he himself will say: I was a stranger and you welcomed me (Matt 25:35). 2 Proper honor must be shown to all, especially to those who share our faith (Gal 6:10) and to pilgrims."

(https://christdesert.org/prayer/rule-of-st-benedict/chapter-53-the-reception-of-guests/)

I love this and am familiar with showing kindness to all and welcoming the stranger from my Christian faith. But then Paintner goes on to say that we should also show hospitality to ourselves!  I love this!  I can be so mean to myself!  Especially those darn judgmental voices in my head who provide me with endless criticism. She says to invite all those voices to the table. Welcome them. Be kind, listen to them, but do not feel the need to react.

Oh how I would love to keep telling you all about what I am learning on my journey. But I need to get to the gym before it's too late and go home and do more organizing.

But I will tell you I am practicing authenticity. I am speaking my truth. I am trying to do it in such a way as not to offend or hurt others or myself. That is a skill that will need much work.

Probably for the rest of my life!
I hope to get back to daily blogging. I have so much to share and I do miss talking to you.

I wish you blessings, peace and much love this week.

Happy Monday!

Love,

Zita







P.S. I need to create a new space for hooping.  Not much room in the basement. I may have to wait until it warms up a bit outside and then take it to the park!

I've been practice Qi Gong. I have been reading books about the art. And getting much positive compliments. and very interesting conversations on my bus journeys, and in restaurants by like-minded people!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist