Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 37: The Voice of God

"Within these walls and within our community, we have the God given capacity to find ourselves lovable because God loves us.  We have the God given capacity to do good unto others not to earn our salvation, but to respond to it.   And that is how love works."

Benediction by Pastor David Jewel.

Kenilworth Presbyterian Church, 8/5/2018

At the end of the service I played the piano for, the pastor gave the above benediction.   It so moved me that I wanted to jot it down. But, alas, it was my cue to play the postlude.  

By the time I had said my good-byes, and headed out to the bus stop, it had disappeared like a mist in my brain.  I have such poor memory these days. I find I need to write things down.  For instance this blog! It has come in handy many times when I am struggling to remember an event on a certain day.

Anyway, at the bus stop I emailed the pastor and asked if he could text me his benediction. The above is what he remembered of it.  Which is very close.  What really struck me was "...do good unto others not to earn our salvation, but to respont to it."  

It struck me that is the heart of the teachings of Jesus!

I had another revelation last night on my long bus ride home. I was thinking about how my suggestions to my daughter and son-in-law about child rearing, housekeeping, dog raising, general life living in general were not always extremely well received.

I am embarrassed to admit I am in danger of turning into a grumpy old, naggy woman. I'm sure you know the type.  

I do not want to be that.

I have currently just finished chapter 13 ("A Judgmental, Critical, and Suspicious Mind") in the book I am reading by Joyce Meyer (Battlefield of the Mind).

I have starred and underlined probably half of this chapter!  

Here are a few highlights: 

" We answer to God, not to each other; therefore, we are not to judge one another in a critical way."

"...we cannot always prevent ourselves from having opinions, but we do not have to express them."

"We cannot change others; only God can."

"Jesus commanded that we not concern ourselves with what is wrong with others when we have so much wrong with ourselves."

I actually finished this chapter on the bus.  Then I sat with my forehead against the cool window, watching the traffic outside the bus.  I get a bit of motion sickness reading in a moving vehicle. I wanted to close my eyes, but last time I did that I passed out and missed my bus stop!
So I just took a deep breath and asked God to help me with my negativity.  How could I help my kids?

And I heard a small voice, from deep inside my soul say, "Wait until they ask for your advice".

I listen when God talks.

This morning was a very good morning. I didn't pop up early and hoop. I didn't even put the trash on the porch or do the dishes.  I just relaxed in bed.  Soon, I heard Gracie whimpering in the next room. My daughter opened the door to my bedroom and asked if I would hold the baby for a bit while she got up and made coffee.

I held out my arms. Gracie is still recovering from her ear infection. She is enjoying all of our sympathy and cuddles.  

"Oooh the poor baby", I soothed as she fussed.

I expected to have to get out of bed. But she let out a sigh and put her little head on my chest. And slept another half hour. It was the sweetest way to spend the morning. 

My daughter was able to get her morning chores done without worrying about the baby, or me underfoot. I got early morning snuggles with the sweetest baby in the world!


When she finally woke, she was in better spirits. So we walked Honey Dog down to the park and I got a nice hoop session in.

I am now in Portland, at my home away from home. The library.  It is quiet and cool in here.  Soon, I will head to Starbucks for an iced tea and then to teach piano.  

I feel very peaceful. And loved.

I should listen to God more often!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 376!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist