Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 55: Sunday Confession

I sinned.  And it wasn't pretty. It was a sin of the gluttinous kind. 

Involving cheese and too much meat. 


I fell off the wagon yesterday. I had two meals out. The first, with my mother. We went to a darling little diner called "Paul's" in downtown Vancouver.  I had corned beef hash.  I asked to substitute fruit for the toast, but the waitress proudly informed me that they had gluten free bread. She told me they received several calls a week asking for gluten free options. 

"The owner finally just purchased a couple of loaves of gluten free bread", she said with a grimace. "It's kind of weird little bread", she confided.

It was typical store bought gluten free bread. I'm used to it.  I prefer my home baked bread, bagels and rolls. But it gets expensive. I prefer almond flour.  Next time I should probably smuggle an almond flour bagel into the restaurant!

The breakfast was really good other than the toast.  And I cleaned my plate!

I hadn't had so much food in a week on my alkaline diet program. But we were celebrating, I justified!

My niece had just given birth to her second baby on Friday.  A precious little girl, "Autumn Rose".

We sat and compared pictures on our cell phones as I inhaled the my delicious breakfast. I also had coffee. I've been avoiding caffeine, except for a random iced tea.  At least I did not put cream in my coffee. I think cutting out dairy has been a plus.  I do allow a bit of yogurt, but no milk or cheese.

Well, until lunch that is.

I was really enjoying my leisurely Saturday with family. Usually I have breakfast with my mother and then teach back to back piano lessons in Portland all day. My mother is my first student of the day.

But now that I am a babysittingrandma, I have cut way back on teaching. After breakfast, we headed back home. My mother visited with Baby Gracie while my daughter took her husband to work. When she returned, my mother played the piano for us.  Gracie was mesmerized, listening attentiely to the performance and clapping enthusiastically after she was done.

If only all audiences were so appreciative!

After my mom left, we took off for a little trip to Portland. I needed to visit with the Chinese pastor of the church I used to teach at. Several students wanted to continue piano lessons with me. But their parents did not speak English. I wrote up a note for them, instructing them how to call and register through an interpretor.  But in order for the Chinese parents to understand my instructions, it needed to be translated! The pastor had happily agreed to translate the note and distribute to any parents of kids interested in piano lessons.

Afterwards we went to the library. The library has been my home away from home these past several years that I have been commuting to Portland and doing home visits.  My haven.  A place to rest, check email, blog, read.  It was surreal, yet very lovely to have two of my favorite people in my library haven. My daughter set up her computer to do some work. I took Gracie to the children's section.  She squealed with delight at all the toys, books and other kids to observe!

We also came out with a stack of children's DVD's.  Today, Gracie discovered "Beauty and the Beast".  Her new favorite. In fact, she learned how to switch the television from today's football game over to her favorite scene in the movie! It was so stinking cute. She grabbed the remote from her dad, pushed a few buttons and then started laughing and swaying to "Be Our Guest!"

But I digress. I was about to confess that at lunch yesterday, I ate chips, salsa and a pork tamale covered in melted cheese.

But I suffered.  All afternoon and evening my stomach was tied in knots. I was bloated and uncomfortable.  

I'm thinking it was the cheese.  Especially since I had a week of cleansing my system, eating mostly vegetables and fruits, legumes, a bit of grains and a bit of lean protein.  

With such a clean system, the cheese was like glue.  

At least I made it to the gym after my gluttony.  For penance, I road the stationary bike for 20 minutes and a few sets of bench press. Then I sat in the hot tub and sulked awhile. 
Doing penance at the gym.




So today, I was determined to get back on track.  I had a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Then I headed to church where I had a mug of green tea.  Then I headed out for a small bite of lunch to plan my eating for the week.  I'm on a tight budget since I've cut back teaching. So I stopped at Wendy's, and had a baked potato with sour cream and chives, no butter, a tall glass of ice water and a side salad with pomegranate vinaigrette.  

I felt better already. Then I headed to the grocery store.  I spent only $10, but was able to prep for the whole week. I made a crock pot of dal with fresh ginger, a pot of quinoa with lime and cilantro, a "detox red cabbage salad" made of shredded red cabbage, green onions, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. A gluten free meatloaf made with coconut flour and flax meal and a cucumber radish salad.  

I also mixed up a pot of my fruit water. Just lime and ginger today.

After my indiscretions yesterday, I am humbled but determined. I can see first hand how my diet affects my health and mood.  And I still am determined to lose 40 more pounds!
I didn't make it in to the gym today since I was a cooking fool in the kitchen. But I got a nice little hoop workout in the backyard. The video is still uploading. I'll post it when it is ready. Disclaimer: The lawn is uneven, so it was challenging to keep my balance.  And it was also difficult to keep a straight face with my daughter and Baby Gracie looking on. If you look closely, you will see Gracie video bombing me.



That's all for today's confession. It felt good to get that off of my chest.  I think I have learned my lesson!

Tomorrow is a new day. A chance to redeem myself: To eat healthy, to exercise, to spread joy and love to all I meet.  I have hope.  I will talk to you then!

Love,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i