Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 49: My Brain, On Fire

 Today is Thursday, September 6, 2018.  It has been a week since I blogged!

Time does not stand still.

I have been very busy helping my daughter prepare for Gracie's 1st birthday party. She turned 1 yesterday. Speaking of time not standing still, I have been part of this little girl's life from day 1.  The last few months I have been a part of her daily life.  Yet still, she is speed growing!

The party was great fun. I got a little nervous the day of. So much to do!  But my daughter reminded me that it was Gracie's day.  Our job was to be in the moment and celebrate her!

But still - there was a lot of preparation. I am glad I gently talked my daughter into dropping me off at the park. She set up the tables and the high chair while I held Gracie.  Then I put the finishing touches on an stood guard while she went home to grab her husband and the food.

We had shredded chicken and pulled pork, salads, chips, fruit, pickles, olives, cupcakes and fizzy water.

We finished getting ready about an hour before guests started arriving.  Even though my daughter got several phone calls from friends and family who couldn't make the trip because of the interstate traffic, we had a good showing.  I'd say at least 50 people.

Gracie sat in her high chair like the queen of England.  She looked very pleased to have so many loyal subjects.

I help manage the food and holding the baby while my daughter visited with our guests.  I think having a purpose helped my social anxiety. I did not feel one bit uncomfortable!

But I noticed several people who did. I recognized the signs: pale face, grim expression, no smile, lingering in the background.  I feel like I have matured a bit. Instead of taking it personally when people were not friendly to me, I treated then extra kindly.

After all, I am a recovering introvert.

Speaking of recovery, I am still struggling with the health thing. I have an MRI set up for Monday.  In search of brain tumor.  My sense of smell is still gone, but oddly enough since I have been using my CPAP nightly, I notice a weird burning chemical smell. Noone else notices it in our household. I am thinking maybe my brain is on fire.

The CPAP helps immensely with sleep. But because of the weird smell, and some issues still with allergies and sinuses, I don't always keep it on the whole night. My machine comes with a cool cell phone app called "My Air". I get points for regular use and using it correctly.  My best score was Friday, August 31. I got 100 points!  I slept a solid 8:2 hours with a good mask seal and only 0.1 events (when I cease breathing) per hour. Last night, not so good. 61 points.  4.1 hours of sleep. 8.1 events an hour.

I notice that when I have a good day of discipline, sticking to my routine of bible study, prayer, cleaning, and exercise along with good eating that I sleep well. Preparing for Gracie's party put much of my routine on the back burner.

But I'm ready to get back on the train!

I am also starting to drink a green power food drink that my daughter picked up from Costco. It is called "Amazing Grass Green Superfood Antioxidant Organic Powder". It is filled with fruits, veggies,  and probiotics. It got me through the party yesterday in good spirits.  I'm hoping it will boost my immune system.

I have been hooping still, almost daily. Sometimes just in my room if I am short on time.  And I am getting to the gym a few days a week.

Always room for improving!

On that note, I need to run. I have a dentist appointment and two piano students.

I have missed you. I hope to talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita





Update:

4:47 p.m. Just got back from dentist. I have no cavities in my teeth.  The dentist showed me the x-rays.  I explained to her my sinus infection, jaw pain, and numbness on right side of face, followed by extremely sensitive teeth and continued jaw pain. She showed me where the nerves goes through the teeth. I have a filling on the particularly sensitive tooth, but it is a "shallow" filling. She said this means that it will not come close to the nerve. I told her about my TMJ issues. She says my teeth are a bit loose, which indicates grinding. She recommends wearing a mouth device at night. I told her I did. 

Back to the ol' drawing board!

It will be interesting to see what the MRI shows.  Maybe I have a jaw tumor?

Oh well. For now I am alive. Cavity free!  Talk to you tomorrow! :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i