Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 51: The MRI, the Boil and Me!

Waiting for my MRI
9/10/2018:
I am beside myself with joy! Gracie and I are strolling through the park near our home, and I noticed leaves are falling from the trees. Some of the leaves have turned a beautiful bright yellow. And a gentle rain has begun to fall. I cannot tell you how happy I am! The only thing that would add to my joy, would be if I could actually smell the new rain.

I still have no sense of smell. My taste is greatly diminished too.

I am so happy that I had that MRI yesterday. The results should be coming within a week they told me. It was actually a very interesting experience!

The most difficult part was holding still. Especially since I suddenly had the urge to cough. Violently. I shared this information with the technician. She shook her head and told me no coughing, sneezing or any kind of movement whatsoever.

"It would ruin the scan", she said somberly.

I told her perhaps I should use my inhaler. She told me that was a good idea. So I hopped off the scan machine and went to the room where I had changed into my scrubs. I took a long draw on my inhaler and a swig of water.

They put a washcloth over my eyes and lay a blanket on top of me.  Another technician handed me a set of earbuds.  She told me they would be communicating with me the entire time I was being scanned.

The whole process took about 45 minutes. I dozed off shortly after I was drawn into the machine. I felt like a DVD being inserted.  The machine itself was rather noisy. It felt very science fiction like.  It took me back to my Star Trek days. Many blips, beeps, and squeaks.  But the oddest thing was I could feel it in my joints. Especially my TMJ joint. I felt like my bones were being rattled.

I felt a little light-headed afterwards. And it did leave me with a headache.

I decided not to teach that afternoon. My son and his girlfriend are attempting to get clean and sober. I had made a care package of food and clothing donations for them from my daughter and son-in-law. I also brought coloring pages and colored pencils, and protein bars.

I headed over to their apartment. I was really pleased with their progress.  Today was, I believe day 6 for them. They were tired, but very coherent. And very committed to their sobriety.  I asked them to come sit outside with me. I had written a prayer for overcoming addiction that I had found on the internet. It really touched me deeply. I asked if I could read it to them. I reached out to put my hands on their shoulders, but my son's girlfriend grabbed my hand. So I took both of their hands in mine and bowed my head.

It was difficult to read aloud through the tears welling up. But I made it.  Afterwards they both smiled a little awkwardly. But it was a precious moment.

Then they asked me if I would go to dinner with them.  We had a lovely dinner with her mom at my son's girlfriend's restaurant downtown.

My heart was full as I caught the bus back home.

9/15/2018:

Finally blogging again. This week has been very busy. I moved with my daughter, Baby Gracie, Honey Dog and my son-in-law.  Same complex, different apartment. The old apartment apparently smelled of dog urine even though they had replaced the carpet and steam cleaned.

I could not smell it, of course because of my lack of a sense of smell.

It is a blessing really. The old apartment was on the 3rd floor. This new apartment is ground level. No more stairs! Easy to push the stroller out, hop on my bike, or bring my parents over for a visit!

So we have been busy packing, unpacking, cleaning... Plus in the midst of it all, my son-in-law had gone hunting. And Baby Gracie is teething. 12 months old and still no teeth!

I received a call from the ENT two days ago. No brain tumor!  But they did find "significant, serious sinus disease".

I asked her if their was a medical diagnosis for that. She said no.

They are treating me with....

wait for it...

STEROIDS and ANTIBIOTICS!

Arrggg!  I have been this route before. But I humbly accepted. She said after I finish my meds, they will see me again. If there is no significant improvement, they will do a CT scan.

In the meantime, I have another symptom.  A little embarrassing. So skip this if you are not a fan of TMI.

I have a chest rash.  On one side, little bumps. On the other side a big boil!

I have been reading, and it could be do to sweating, and hormones.  My daughter thinks all of my weird ailments have a hormonal component.  I am going to try some home remedies, including an alkaline cleanse which my daughter recommended.

My diet is not the best these days. And I have not been exercising much. Aaccording to some experts, an acidic diet can lead to all kinds of health problems, including cancer.

So, starting tomorrow I will be eating mostly fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and legumes.

Sound familiar? I have been attempting to eat this way for many moons!

But I keep sliding back to meat, dairy and carbs. Especially when I am broke and on the road teaching. My McDonald's app may be the death of me!

Oh, let's not speak of death. I am still alive. I have a wonderful, crazy life.  I will keep on kicking.

But God has been answering my prayers.  My son has a new job!  And my father had surgery to remove his skin cancer yesterday. My mother called me and told me it was successful. No further surgery needed.

And Baby Gracie is pulling herself up to standing. About ready to walk!

But poor Honey Dawg. She ran outside two days ago and cut her paw on glass. Her dad patched it up nicely. She is no longer bleeding. We are watching for signs of infection.

Gracie has been by her side comforting her.

We all need a little comfort sometimes, don't we?

On that note, I need to run and pick up my prescriptions.

I sound like a broken record, but I need to blog and exercise daily. I will keep you posted on my alkaline diet.

I need to do more research but here is a link to an interesting article, if you are so inclined. (I will spare you articles about boils!)
https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-and-nutrition/diet/comprehensive-review-alkaline-diet-what-it-how-it-works-what-eat/

Talk to you tomorrow I hope!

Love,

Zita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i