Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 76: My New Hat

I am sitting at a bus stop downtown Vancouver. A steady drizzle is falling and the skies are slate gray. Not many people are out and about. It feels rather peaceful. I'm trying to hold on to that peace rather than acknowledge the churning in my stomach.

My son called last night before he turned into bed and was feeling low again. We've talked about how this experience will produce a roller coaster of emotions. Heck, life produces a roller coaster of emotions. But I encouraged him to stay above the emotions. To stay in the present moment and to look for positive rays of light in each day. These are the things I tell myself each day. And I am not in jail!

The waiting and the unknown part of this process are painful. But then so is the food. I asked him how his dinner was and he said like mush.

"Mush?" I asked. "Like oatmeal?"

"No"  he said. "Like cat food."

"Thank God for commissary!" I said. I chuckled. He didn't.

But it occurred to me just then that the sacrifices I am making in my daily life are all going to his commissary and his phone bill.

That's how the jail makes money. Well, aside from bail.

I cannot imagine my son living on just jail food. So I've been  putting money weekly into his account so that he can get some coffee, tea, pork rinds and tortillas.

My son  perks up when he talks about commissary. He's made some friends on his dorm and they get together quite often and do a "spread". I believe I spoken of "the spread" in the blog before.

Its quite clever! They pool all their commissary items together and make a smorgasbord of food. They save meat, cheese. beans and rice from what they've saved from some of their dinners. Then they assemble it, topped with crushesd pork rinds!

It sounds like very interesting burritos! My son promises to make me one when be gets out.

There definitely are some high points in this experience!

Like books. I'm so pleased that he is reading. And with pleasure! Books have been my friend since I was little. And I was always frustrated with the fact that he was not so interested in them as a child. Or as a grown up as well! But he is discovering the joy of reading in jail. He finished the book on the Lewis and Clark expedition. And is now reading about Galileo. I can't wait for our conversations when he gets out!

Speaking of saving money I have discovered the senior coffee at McDonalds. Not only do I have an app that allows me to buy 5 coffees and get one free, now I've discovered that senior coffee is only $0.75! I will be 57 in a few weeks I consider myself a senior. At least I think I'm a senior. Okay, full confession: I have not checked the requirement for senior coffee at McDonalds. God forgive me! I will. Soon I promise!

Other than senior coffee another high point in my life is the completion of my third hat on my round loom! This one has a brim. I am quite pleased with the results!

I knit on the bus, which makes good use of my time.  I pray with each stitch- for my son, my family, my friends. Then I say the Lord's Prayer and end with the Jesus Prayer. My loom is like a big, plastic rosary!

It brings me peace to knit, pray and create. Less helpless.

It takes about two days to make each hat. I plan on making them for all of my family members for Christmas. If there is an interest, I may sell them to the public!



My New Hat- Notice the Brim!!

Now I need to go prepare for my end of term piano student recital. 28 students performing
I love recitals. I am smiling thinking of all my students playing their little hearts out!

Talk to you soon.

Love,

Zita

https://www.gofundme.com/5qm5r4-please-help-my-son


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist