Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 70: Encountering Angels in the Land of the Golden Arches

I keep on meeting earth angels.  In the most unlikely places!

Yet again, I had the most amazing encounter at McDonald's of all places. 

I have been sticking to my resolve to give up expensive Starbucks drinks. Even though I have a Starbucks app and earn stars with each purchase, the free drink does not cancel out the money I put out to earn the "free" drink!

I need every penny for my son's bail.  And for daily survival.

But I still enjoy having a place to hang out when I come to Portland to teach. To hang out, sip coffee, read my Bible, write in my prayer journal and keep up with my GoFundMe account.

So there I was. Having my large, coffee with one creamer and 2 sugars at McDonald's on SE Powell.  Coffee at McDonald's, by the way is not that much inferior to Starbucks. And at $1.00 for a large, well within my budget!

And there's an app.  Buy 5 coffees any size and get the 6th for free.  Now your speaking my language!

Plus, over the years, I have had the most profound encounters at the land of the golden arches.

Today, I encountered four.

Anyway, back to my story:

There I was, sipping my coffee, reading my Bible, praying for my son and countless others.  A middle aged woman sat at the table next to me. She had her daughter with her.  Her daughter looked to be in her early 20's. But she was the size of a 7 year-old. She had a baseball cap pulled down over her ears. In her arms she cradled a baby doll in a worn out blanket.

I smiled at them.  The girl looked at me and babbled incoherently. I smiled.

The mom asked her what she wanted to eat.

Again the babbling.

"I'll get you a Happy Meal", said mom cheerfully. Then she went up to the counter, leaving the girl staring at me, babbling.

"Yum!" I said to her. "A cheeseburger!"

I wasn't sure how she would react.

But she looked at me and said, "It's O.k!"

Then she went back to her babbling and cradling her baby doll.

Soon mom came back with her food.  But she didn't have a cup.  She looked at me and asked if she was supposed to get a drink.

Me, the McDonald's expert that I am, explained that she could retrieve a cup from the kiosk where she ordered.

And off she went again!

The girl looked at me and shrieked, "It's O.K.!"

I couldn't help but laugh.  She was very enthusiastic about everything!

And when her meal came, she grabbed large handfuls of fries and shoved them in her mouth making, "Mmm" sounds.

It reminded me of when I was a single mom with very young kids. You learn to eat fast.

Soon, their meal was over.  The mom looked at me and smile.

"Have a nice day", she said.

I told her to do the same.

Then I waved at her girl.  Mom looked over and said, "Say goodbye to the nice lady!"

The girl looked at me and said, "It's O.K.!" She reached out her hand. She wore black mittens. I reached out to shake her hand.

And she grabbed my left hand in a death grip!

I gasped and was able to somehow retrieve my hand before damage was done. Mom looked at me apologetically and ushered the girl out.

I thought about what a gentle, kind mom she had.  She took it all in stride.  Taking care of a special needs child is a life long commitment. 

I sighed and got back to my prayer and study.

Shortly thereafter, a young lady sat down with two cups of what looked like coffee.  She held her left hand up and said, "Just to let you know, I am not flipping you off. I slammed my middle finger in the car door. It's swollen and really hurts!"

I nodded and thanked her for the information. She sat down and started pouring creamer in her cup. After the fourth one, I looked up.

"McDonald's coffee is not bad is it? And much cheaper than Starbucks!", I smiled.

She smiled back. "But this is hot chocolate!" she exclaimed. "I like lots of creamer in my hot chocolate".

I told her that sounded yummy and got back to my reading.

Soon a very tall, sturdy man joined her at the table.  I forgot about them as I got deep into the Psalms.

As they were standing up to leave, the young lady waved at me.  And the man stopped in front of my table.  He spoke in a deep, slow voice.

"Have a nice day, Miss", he said. "And I want to let you know my heart is warmed to see you with your Bible open on the table like that".

I smiled. "Thank you. I am praying for my son. He's in jail".  I have no idea why I blurted that out to a complete stranger.

But let me tell you this: I am glad I did. I will never forget them. He sat right back down and we talked for at least a half hour. He was from Texas. He spent half of his life in jail, he told me.  And now he had a 50 year-old son in Huntsville Unit Prison in Huntsville, Texas and a 30 year-old son in jail in Portland. 

I gave him my condolences. I told him I would pray for them. His 50 year-old son is doing life in prison. The 30 year-old has yet to be sentenced.

This man had the most peaceful, loving demeanor.  He told me he wanted to share a scripture with me and he would like me to share it with my son.

He pulled out his cell phone and brought up his bible app.

"Proverbs 27:11", he said, leaning over and showing me the verse.

 "Be wise, my son, and make my heart glad,
    that I may answer him who reproaches me."

Proverbs 27:11 English Standard Version (ESV)

 

He told me that the Bible is a personal letter from God to each one of us.  He said, to insert my son's name in the verse:  "Be wise, Andrew, and make your heart glad, that you may answer him who reproaches". (Him being Satan, the devil, the evil one).

 

We talked awhile.  About his life, his sons, the judicial system.  Then he and the woman rose and said goodbye. I wiped tears away as they left. 

 

And I opened up my Bible. To Proverbs 27.

 

Talk to you tomorrow.

 

Love,

 

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist