Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 205: Three Months IF and Another Fall

Sunday was apparently the coldest September day in Portland, Oregon since 1934.  So I wasn't imagining it! 

A woman at a convenience store said exactly what I had been thinking: "We went from summer straight into winter!"

We did indeed!

Today is the first day of October. I have officially been intermittent fasting for 3 months!

I stepped on the scale this morning and did a whoop and a happy dance. Another pound bites the dust!

I have so far lost 16 pounds!  This is my most successful eating plan ever. I suppose I will have to keep it!

My positive thought for today comes from the book, A Year of Positive Thinking: Daily Inspiration, Wisdom and Courage by Cyndie Spiegel:
"Allow room for pause. We live in the world of constant activity that leaves us feeling overcharged. But there is so much power in Stillness. What would happen if you slowed down? Would the world around you feel different? Try it. Slow down. Breathe in. Look outward. See inward. Exhale. Repeat as often as needed."

Beautiful thoughts. Much needed in my life.

If only I had paused long enough to read these sentences before I went to the library yesterday.

Before my fall.

On all fours.

On the sidewalk in front of the library.

Oddly enough, I didn't even see anything that I could have tripped on. I immediately had a flashback to about eight years ago when the exact same thing happened to me, except it was in front of a church. In front of St. Ignatius Catholic Church to be precise.

I was on my way to do a Novena of Grace, which is a nine day prayer. I was praying for a family member in crisis who was in the throes of a serious drug addiction. Just like yesterday I suddenly found myself slamming into the concrete on all fours, the force of impact shooting fiery shards of pain through my knees and left my palms burning and my cheeks red with humiliation.

Both times I just sat there for a moment in shock. And then I took a deep breath and stood up to make sure I could still walk. Yesterday a lady came running across the street to make sure I was okay. Eight years ago a young man poked his head out his car window to ask if I was okay. Both times I assured them I was fine, just embarrassed.

 In front of the church,  I almost went home in tears. But I force myself to stand up and hobble into the church, where I  spent an hour on my bleeding knees, crying and praying to God.

Yesterday I dragged myself to the library and began this blog. I am continuing it today.  I ended up having a really good yesterday yesterday as I did seven years ago. Pain seems to waking up my mind. And shock me into being more aware of my surroundings. And yes I need to breathe more and take life slower. And more mindful.

 I had a wonderful piano lesson with one of my older gentleman students yesterday after my fall. I told him about it and he made me tea and gave me a chocolate bar. Because of my pain, my mind was focused just on the lesson and not worrying about other things more than usual.

But there is an interesting side effect. A spiritual side effect. After my student, I headed to my church to practice. I have been considering putting some of the psalms to music. I wanted to begin with Psalm 37, the psalm the young JW man shared with me at the bus stop a few days ago. I've not been too successful with composition. But last night I was! My creativity was flowing! I had enough sense to write it down.

Eight years ago I returned home from the Novena of Grace and filled a small notebook with praise lyrics. I wish I knew where that notebook was.

It just occurred to me that attending that Novena of Grace was a profound event in my life. And so is becoming a grandmother. My first grandchild is named Grace.

I do believe God speaks to us. Whether ee choose to receive the and apply message to our lives is up to us.

Amazingly I woke up this morning able to walk with very little pain, only a slight head cold. My therapist cancelled, so I took a therapeutic nap.

And yes, I am taking it slower today.

Happy Tuesday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita


This is yesterday's and today's hooping videos. Days 155 and 156!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i