Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 243: Nostrovia!

Hello Friends!

If I ever get discouraged,  remind me to read this post!

I found an old picture of me in Facebook  Memories this morning. Six years ago today, I was riding the Amtrack train from work in Portland to my home in Salem. How I loved  the train! And how much poofier was my face! I believe I weighed about 40 lbs. more than I do now. I was struggling with depression  which I attempted to control through recreational eating.  

About a year later, I was living in Portland again with my daughter, son-in-law, son and Honey Dog.  We lived together in a home in the Kent's neighborhood (dubbed "Felony Flats" by those who know).

I enjoyed that neighbor, despite the high crime. It was close to the Springwater Trail, where I had my epiphany  on a cold December morning. I decided to wake up and start living! I began by walking and then jogging the trail nearly every  day. I started eating healthier and spending more time reading, playing my piano and praying.  Less time worrying and watching TV. 

It was during that time that I began this blog, with the goal of posting everyday.  I began a course of personal growth, focusing on my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health.  

I am coming up on my 5 year blogaversary, and although I do not always post daily, i am still committed  to pet a oval growth. 

Here is a picture of  my face 6 years ago. I would have been 52 years old:


And here is my face today, at age 58:




How  far I have come - in so many ways!

Not only have I shed pounds,  I've conquered an eating disorder that has plagued me since early adulthood.  I ave stronger family ties and several new additions: Two grandchildren, two great nieces, a son-in-law, a daughter-in-law, and their families.

And to put icing on the cake (yes, I still use food analogies), I am dating again!

The world around me has gone crazy, but as for me, I feel pretty dang good about myself!

One challenge I have yet to conquer is my insomnia. So that has been my focus this last week. 

And I have come up with  a controversial solution!  I am calling it the vodka experiment!

It has been close to 10 years since I have had anything close to a serious relationship. And more than that since I consumed much alcohol to mention.  As I matured and began really looking at who I am and what I seek, I had a lot of regrets about my past.  Part of which was a lot of "partying". I was a social drinker. Especially when I went out to the clubs. They were called "discos" when I began partying in my late teens.

But I finally became weary of waking up with a hangover. And as I started really looking at my diet, I decided I didn't need the calories.

The past 8 - 10 years have been all about denial, deprivation and coming to terms with the crushing guilt and shame from my younger days. 

Perhaps the deprivation was a form of penance.

But I have always been told that moderation is the key in life.

It occurred to me that Vodka might well turn out to be a solution for my sleep disorder and bringing a wee bit of joy back into my life.

"Wee" being the important factor here. I googled the nutritional content in Vodka. I found there 100 calories in 1 ounce of Absolut Citron, which is my preference. Actually, my drink of choice used to always be a Salty Dog made with Vodka, but for this experiment I am doing straight shots.

I drink 1/2 ounce of Absolut Citron about 8 p.m. every night.  I limit myself to 1/2 ounce, because in my research about intermittent fasting, if you have a drink with 50 calories or fewer, you are still in fasting mode!


Tonight will be my 4th night.  I am sleeping so much better and I feel rather tough, Clint Eastwood-like even tilting my head back to a straight shot of Vodka! It also gives me something to look forward to and I am finally understanding the word "night cap"!

"Nostrovia!"

Nostrovia means "let's get drunk!" in Russian. But I am not in it to get drunk. I am in it to sleep and lose weight and find balance between joy and self discipline.

Perhaps I should have said "na vashe zdorov'ye!", 

Nope. Don't even know how to begin to say that. It means "to your health".

I'll stick with nostrovia! 

On that note, I am heading out in this heat wave to the gym.

Nostrovia people!

Love,

Zita














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and