Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 333: The Holiday Inn

I finished the book of Job last night.

What a relief. My reward is beginning the book of Psalms. It is one of my favorite books of the Old Testament. At one time, when I was going through a dark period, I would walk at night, reciting a psalm, trying to memorize it. 

So now, reaching the Psalms after the painful suffering of Job, is like meeting up with an old friend.


I was pondering this on the Max this morning, heading to Vancouver to watch Baby Gracie while her mom went to a meeting at work.

I overheard a man talking to an older woman. They were joking about how dependent people were on their cell phones these days.  I made eye contact and smiled.  The man looked a little anxious. He asked if I knew how to get to the Holiday Inn from the Parkrose Transit Center. I told him it was quite close. We would almost be able to see it when we got there. I told him I was getting off at that stop too.

We deboarded and walked across the pathway crossing I-205. I pointed in the general direction. I told him it might not be within walking distance, but maybe he could ask one of the bus drivers.

He thanked me and started walking away quickly. I saw him attempt to make conversation with a young man coming his way. I assume he was asking directions. But the man held up his hands and shook his head.  It broke my heart. The Holiday Inn man looked dejected.

I called out to him. I asked him if he would like me to look up the directions on my phone.

"Yes, please!" he said, exhaling loudly.  "I don't know why some people are so unfriendly", he said motioning to the man that rebuked him.

"My phone is cheap and the battery is almost dead".

"Are you working there?" I asked.

"Yes. It is my first day", he smiled. Looking a bit more relaxed.

I looked up the directions. It was only a 20 minute walk along the I-205 path.  He smiled broadly.

"Thank you ma'am", he said.

"May your day be blessed", I said, smiling back.

He headed off. I walked to my stop to catch the Parkrose Express to Vancouver. My heart warmed at the thought that I helped this man. I hope he made it to work on time and had a good day.

I had a wonderful day with Gracie.  Six hours we spent!  She fought like an animal when she got tired. She did not want her bottle.  And everytime I put her on my shoulder and started to sing to her, she arched her back and grabbed my lips.  She knew it was nap time, and did not want any part of it!

Finally, I let her sit on my lap as I rocked on the rocking chair. I put in a "Baby Einstein" DVD and rocked. I gave her her binky. She put it in her mouth and promptly fell asleep!

There is nothing like a baby sleeping on your lap, to freeze time.  Every milestone is precious with her. But I have to say, I will miss these moments!


On that note, I need to rush off and teach piano.  I got up too early to get a hooping workout in.  I am stiff and sore. I need to hoop tomorrow and try to make it to the gym. A bit of stretching, weights, and hot tub might do the trick!

Happy Wednesday my friends!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist