Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 341: "I'm Just a Kid!"

With all the negative press that Starbucks has been getting lately, I enjoyed a very pleasant visit to my favorite location today.

It is the one on SE Holgate off of Cesar Chavez.  The spot of the old Cupie Cone.  I was so sad to see the demise of Cupie Cone. But this Starbucks has such a good vibe.  Mostly due to the very chill baristas that work there.

I often bring my own lunch, and they have never given me the "no outside food" lecture.  I get free refills on my coffee and pleasant conversation. Plus there is always an outlet available for me to charge my always dying cell phone.

AND it is in my teaching hood.  I stop there on the way to students at least twice a week.  Today, with the glorious sunshine warming my tired bones, seemed like a good day for an iced tea. 

I pulled out my cell phone, and was pulling up my Starbucks app and preparing to enter, when an older, toothless man in ragged clothes called out to me from the sidewalk, "Hey, lady. Will you buy me a cup o' coffee?"

I said I would. I asked him if he would like cream and sugar.

"Yes, please", he grinned, exposing one tooth.

He was not toothless after all!

I walked in and was greeted by my favorite barista, a fellow musician. I told him I would like an iced tea and a cup of coffee for the gentleman seated outside.

I was a bit worried because I did not have much money left on my Starbucks card.  The barista asked if I wanted to order an 8 ounce coffee.  I told him I did not even know that they had that size!

It is called a short. I've never seen in on the menu.  Starbucks does have their marketing down!

My barista got my drinks ready and handed me the coffee first.

"It is so nice of you to bring some cheer to a stranger today", he smiled.

"It makes me feel human", I smiled back.

And it did. I was very tired all day. Still recovering from a long day in court yesterday. And much worry.  I tossed and turned last night, with anxious thought of my family member in crisis. Could he abide by the terms of his sentence?  There was a lot to do.

But another family member warned me not to enable him. "He needs to learn his lesson", they said.

Oy.  I love to help. I love to fix.  But this I cannot.

So I must step back. The worry is not good for my inner peace, my health, or the bags under my eyes!

Although one of my middle school students paid me a high compliment. His grandmother pulled me aside and told me asked her if it was o.k. to tell Teacher Zita it looked liked she had lost a lot of weight.

Grandma told him, "Sure! Just say, ' Teacher Zita, it looks like you have list a lot of weight!"

He looked at her and rolled his eyes. "I can't say that", he said. "I'm just a kid!"


On that note, I wish you a pleasant evening.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita




P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 293!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i