Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 340: TSI

I got quite an education today. Most of it sitting in a courtroom with my family member in crisis.

The outcome was much better than we expected.  7 days in weekend jail and 2 years "Monitored Misdemeanor Probation".

I enjoyed the experience, even though my stomach was tied up in knots, awaiting the outcome.

The judge was a large, older man with a big booming voice. A larger than life personality. It was quite entertaining really. He was filling in for the usual judge in diversion court.  So there was a lot of questions directed at the attorneys. He was a strict judge, but he had a heart. He would listen to people's stories. And his judgments seemed fair and well thought out.

I also learned a new term today:  "TSI".

I immediately thought of TMI - too much information.  My family member's attorney gave him a checklist of places he needed to go to.  First was probation registration. Second was TSI at the jail.

I asked her what "TSI" stood for.

"Turn Self In", she said with a grin.

So after sentencing, we walking down to the probation registration office.  The people in that office were quite fun.  I think I expected a bunch of harsh, judgmental people in our adventure at the courthouse today.

Not so!  The grimmest faces we encountered was going through security.  One of those faces was mine after we had to go through several times.

But the probation office staff - delightful! They treated my family member kindly. Gave him all his info and more paperwork and answered all of his questions. While he was getting registered, I talked with another staff member about the possibility of an earthquake. She was convinced "the big one" was on it's way. And since the courthouse was old with much marble, she planned on sprinting out the door the minute the floor began to shake.

After probation, we headed over to the TSI office, adjacent to the jail.  I was sad, thinking about my family member spend 7 days in jail. But after our visit with the TSI lady, we all came out feeling quite relieved and light in step.

It turns out his jail time will be Saturdays and Sundays, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Not in the Multnomah County Jail, but in the courthouse. Not in a cell, but in a large conference room with other men in his predicament.  Unfortunately, they are not allowed to bring books. I was hoping he could spend time exercising his brain. Nope.  No personal belongings. No cell phones, books, food, nor any belts or shoelaces.

Just like jail. But not in a cell.

The most difficult thing about this whole process will be him following through.

But it will be a good life experience.

I, however, have had enough life experience for one day. After this post, I am heading for a bowl of comfort in the form of Pho and the home to bed with a movie.

I may be able to finish my online classical music course that I'm taking free through Coursera. It is phenomenal!  It is taught at Yale University.  We have made it from the Renaissance, through Baroque, and Classical Music.  I especially enjoyed the segment on the evolution of the piano. 

It is filling the gaps in my brain from my lifelong musical education. And I am already passing on some of that knowledge to my students. When this course is completed, I shall find another. A good way to spend time on the bus!

We are finishing up a segment on the operas of Verdi.

I am finally developing a taste for opera! I have several DVDs on hold at the library....

Anyway, I am beginning to ramble.

So I wish you a good night. I for one, hope to get a peaceful sleep. I hope my family member in crisis does too. Maybe he will be a family member crisis survivor soon!


Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita




P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 292!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i