Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 342: Inner Peace

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 4:7 ESV)

Have you ever felt so overwhelmed by life that you feel paralyzed?

I felt like that much of today.  I put on a good face.  I did some deep breathing. Drank much coffee.  Prayed.  Read from the Psalms.  

But still, I had this feeling of impending doom.

Granted, I've had this feeling most of my life. When I would seek counseling, and the counselor would ask to describe how I was feeling, I would say that I had a feeling of impending doom.  

I've learned that it is most likely anxiety and not some prophetic gift of mine.

It's hard to shake when it comes upon me.

But I am proud of myself.  I just kept putting one foot in front of the other, and when all my troubles, and all my worries and fears for my family threatened to pull me under, I just took deep breaths and told God that I was putting this in His hands.

And then an amazing thing happened.  I was visiting my daughter and Baby Grace.  My granddaughter, by the way, has an amazing healing and calming effect on me.  I could feel the storm cloud lift when I say her smiling face and her chubby little arms reaching out to me.

She is amazing enough, but what lifted me even more was something my daughter gave to me.  She had been given little cards by her husband's mother, who visited last night. They each had a different Psalm printed on them. And a picture to color. Some had butterflies, some had crosses, and flowers.  She also gave me some gel pens. She said I could say a prayer as I colored the cards to give to people. Friends, family...she even gave me extra to give to "some of the homeless people you meet on the bus".

I thanked her and put them in my book bag. Then headed out to catch the bus to teach piano for the afternoon.  It wasn't until I was sitting at Starbucks, writing in my prayer journel, praying and trying to breathe away the feeling of impending doom, that I remember the cards.  I didn't have time to color them then, but after I finished teaching, I remembered them.  

I was going to head out for a bite to eat and color my cards when one of the staff from the office poked his head in. Usually I need to pack up, straighten up the piano lab and head out immediately after my last class, so they staff can close up. But he told me he was sticking around for a few hours, rehearsing downstairs and I was free to practice upstairs if I liked.

Would I like? I would love!  It seems I never have enough time with a piano. So i sat down and played for about 45 minutes.  It was early dusk when I left. The day had been mild. There was a nice, warm, quiet energy surrounding me as I walked to the bus stop.  

I stopped for a bit to eat and got out my cards. I colored one for a friend. I wrote her a little note.  

By the time I finished, the cloud of doom had lifted! 

I reached in my bag and pulled out a book I had been reading.  He mentioned Philippians 4:7.  

Inner peace.

Even before I had begun turning back to God, I remember desiring inner peace.  Again, something I mentioned in counseling. After I told them about my feeling of impending doom, they would usually ask my what I hoped to gain from counseling.

Without hesitating, I would say, "inner peace".

I never got it from counseling.

But I get a glimpse when I pray, when I hold my grandbaby, when I play the piano, and now when I color pictures on Psalm cards.

I am going to end here.  And seek sleep while I feel peaceful. My troubles can wait until tomorrow!
I will talk to you then.

Love,

Zita



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 294!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist