Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 346: Simple Gifts

I had a most extraordinary day today.

Nothing dramatic or earth-shaking. But lovely, serene, peaceful, and productive.

It could very well have been the weather. The skies were blue, there was a gentle breeze, and the high temperature hit and a standing 81 degrees here in Portland Oregon, ladies and gentlemen!

 I am walk-blogging as we speak. And it is 78 degrees at 10:30 p.m!

 I am out a little bit later than usual. Choir practice got over at 9 p.m., and I wasn't one bit sleepy as usual. I needed to walk up to the bank and deposit a check, and I was contemplating stopping at a late-night restaurant for dessert and herbal tea.

But I didn't really want to be out that late. Didn't want to spend that much money. And I certainly didn't want to consume too many late night calories!

So after the bank, I walked over to Safeway and buy the little tiny carton of ice cream, at a bottle of water. I sat for a bit, enjoying my treat while my mind examined my day...

The highlight of my day was choir practice. We have been working on The Magnificat by JS Bach since the beginning of fall term. It is a large, difficult work of music. I will be playing a small organ,  accompanying a choir of about 40 members along with a small orchestra and soloists.

 I had a good practice session today, even though it was only about an hour. But I finally feel like I am understanding the music. I worked out some fingering and worked out mostly difficult sections, which I called "speed bumps" in my private lessons.

So I came into choir practice tonight feeling prepared for once. I think the rest of the choir must have been practicing too. Because we all felt it. The energy of going up to another level. Not just struggling with the notes and the rhythm. But actually beginning to make music. I had a moment of deja vu and almost an out-of-body experience as I sat at the piano, watching the conductor and my score at the same time. And being surrounded bi the dear voices of the choir members, some of whom I have known for many years. No words can adequately describe this feeling. I'm not even going to try. But I had goosebumps, and a feeling of incredible otherworldly love.

After my ice cream and pondering, I jumped on the bus and decide to transfer it at South East 52nd.

It was odd, I was a little bit indecisive about the route that I was going to take home. But I chose the quickest route. I had my little reward dessert, and now I needed to go home and get a good night's rest.

I plan on getting another good practice session in tomorrow morning.

On another note, I am enjoying my new method of commuting and listening to my online classical music course. I will be sad when it's over with. We are already into post-modernism, which I am thankful for. Modernism was uncomfortable for me. Because this evening I spent 30 minutes listening to Stravinsky, which I rather enjoyed, but then came the atonal music of Arnold Schoenberg. It was as rather abrasive to my ears.


I kept thinking of the Dr Seuss book, Green Eggs and Ham.

"I do not like Schoenberg in a boat, with a goat, here or there...I do not like him anywhere!"

 But it was very fascinating. I took my little online quiz, and was happily getting ready to listen to Appalachian Spring by Copland when I saw familiarr person crossing the street towards me. It was my family member in crisis! He walked over, and handed me a $20 bill. It was so surreal going from Schoenbergburg to a family member handing me money. It was as if I was meant to be at that particular bus stop.

"What's this?" I asked.

"I know it's not much", he said. "But I hope it helps.

 I recently had told him that I could no longer help him financiall. I have been helping out with my daughter's baby Grace and I have been working less. Plus the rides on Lyft over to Vancouver have been adding up. My family member in crisis has some financial issues, but I can no longer help him. I felt horrible telling him that, but I think it's for his own good.

We talked a bit, and then he said he had to catch a bus home and turned and walked away.

Just then,  my bus pulled up. I hopped on settled into my seat and put my headphones in my ears soon soon I was transported to another dimension, as the tune "Simple Gifts" filled my senses.

Most appropriate!

I smiled to myself.

It really was an extraordinary day.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita


PS. Here is today's hooping video. Day 298!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i