Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 20: Cyborgs, the Zombie Apocolypse and Fred Flinstone Feet

This has been a glorious day! Bright and clear, with a gentle breeze. Not too hot!  High of 76 degrees.  I wouldn't mind the whole summer staying like this.

Weather wise, that is.  It was a strange day, people wise. 

I was up bright and early. Had a nice hooping session. Then I hopped on the bus and delivered a large bag of clothing and shoes to a drop off station near the mall. My move is nearly completed! One more haul with my nephew on Friday. 

To celebrate, I took myself out for a nice healthy breakfast, grabbed an iced tea at the corner Starbucks and then got on the bus headed  to outer southeast where I had four piano students.  It was getting late. I didn't want to be late my first day, so I pulled up my Lyft app and ordered a ride. He was there in 1 minute!

As much as I resist technology, I was most thrilled to be getting there early. And my driver was most engaging.  I told him I was on my way to teach piano. He told me he studied as a kid. But gave it up after a few years for guitar.  He told me his 9 year-old son is now playing guitar.  But he said he made the mistake of trying to teach him himself. We chuckled. I told him I felt his pain. I could never teach my own kids.  Somehow we got on the subject of this generation of kids.  Growing up in a world with cell phones and the internet.

"My wife and I call them cyborgs", he grinned.  I laughed.  I told him how I resisted technology. My daughter made fun of my refusal to use GPS.

"I have a map in my head!" I told him.

He told me that he felt the end was near. He said he was ready to be part of the 'resistance'. He was laughing.  But secretly I felt he was right.

The ride was too short to expand on our conversation. He got me to the center 15 minutes early.  I thanked him and bounded out of the car. 

It is a new location for me.  The students who take lessons at this center get free lessons!  I am still paid. It was highly rewarding to be able to bring music to kids who might not otherwise be able to afford lessons.

The center is in a busy, rather rough lower income neighborhood. But it was clean and spacious. The staff smiling and friendly. And the music room is so cute! It's a little black box at the corner of the center. It has foam padding on the walls to muffle the sound. I only have an electric keyboard to teach on. But it is digital and full size.

It was fun to be in a new location.

After teaching, I walked across the street to the bus stop. I only had a 2 minute wait. I have two more new students.  I will be teaching them in their home. The parents do not speak English and are unable to drive them to me because of their schedule.  One of my student's moms referred them to me.  This will be my last home teaching family. Since I will be living in Vancouver, I will only be in Portland 3 or 4 days a week. At music centers or the church I teach at.

It is always difficult for me to say no to a new student, but I need to keep my life calm and manageable with such a long commute.

Plus I need enough energy to chase after my granddaughter, who is now crawling! :)

And I certainly do not have time to date. Especially young men I meet at the bus stop who cannot stop talking about my toes.

My toes!  Have I told you my brother called me "Fred Flinstone Feet" when I was young? That is because my toes are all the same length!



A young man sat down on the bench beside me at the bus stop. We exchanged pleasantries. Then he complimented my toes.  Well, the nail polish, at least. He said his favorite color was purple.  I told him my favorite color was green.  I felt like I was talking to a student. I handed out folders today. I spent several minutes with each student discussing their favorite color.

So, my antennae were not out for any inappropriate behavior. Plus, I was in a friendly mood.  Relieved that my first day at the new teaching facility had gone well.

The young man spoke softly and slowly. I had to lean in to hear him.  He asked me what I was up to. I told him that I had finished teaching at a community center and was heading to teach some private students. He asked what I taught.

"I'm a piano teacher," I smiled.

"I'm a sous chef", he smiled back. He had a nice smile. But his eyes told a different story.  I told myself to not give out any personal information. 

He told me he had always wanted to learn to play the piano.  He had a guitar at home, but hadn't played it much lately. I told him music is good therapy, especially after a long day at work.

Our bus pulled up just then.  I got on and headed to an open seat in the back of the bus. He followed me.  I thought the conversation was over.

It was not.

He sat in the seat opposite me.  It was a crowded, noisy bus.  I think my sense of smell may be returning.  On a hot, crowded Trimet bus, I wish it wouldn't.

He asked me a question. I couldn't hear him. I leaned forward.

"Do you have a business card?" he asked. "I seriously would like to take piano lessons".

I rummaged in my purse. I was honestly relieved that I could not find any.

"Sorry," I said. "I guess I'm all out of cards".

Then he started talking a bit about his work. How he was raised in Portland. But his family was from Mexico.  I relaxed a bit.  He was probably about my son's age.  Why was I feeling uncomfortable earlier?  I am a grandmother!  Men don't try to hit on me anymore.

I'm glad.

But I was wrong.  Shortly before my stop, he asked if he could give me his phone number.

"Please call me and give me information about piano lessons", he said with an innocent smile.

He gave me his number. I put it in my phone. I asked him his name.

"L", he said.

Then I did something stupid. I texted him. "Hi 'L'!" I wrote. "Zita the piano teacher here." :)

And now I am paying for it. He texted earlier when I was on my way to teach my new students. I texted him back that I was working.

Then came an avalanche of texts.  About my feet.  How pretty my toes look with the shiny purple polish. And then how attractive he finds me.  I did not answer.  Then came more texts.  Some too crude to share.  I deleted them.  Then my phone rang. I declined the call.  I thought about blocking him. I may still.

Then came the texts of explanation. He was sorry for being so forward. He just finds me so attractive, and well, he has a bit of a foot fetish.  And he really thought I was into him too...

I will probably just block him.  I do not feel like explaining.  I've been down this path before. But, suddenly I have a bit of compassion for this young man.  I do not need to hurt his feelings. But any explanation on my part would unearth an avalanche of questions.  That has been my experience in the past.

How do I say I am celibate, but I am friendly. And perhaps some day I may find love again. Maybe even marriage.  But I am not interested in him. He is too young, too crude, too obsessed with my feet...

How do I say that?

I don't. I block.

On another note, after I taught my new students (they were two young sisters, sweet as could be!), I came up to the library.  I passed a graveyard. It is obviously a new homeless camp. Tents, bicycles and grocery carts were lined up on the sidewalk against the fence.  Several people were sleeping on the sidewalk.  I paused to take a picture. It came out pretty fuzzy. I got a little spooked when one of the campers yelled across the street at me. 



But he was only teasing me. "Selfie!" he shouted, laughing.  On the bus, as we passed Fred Meyer on Johnson Creek Blvd., I heard some people talking behind me. They said the rumor is that Fred Meyer's is closing that location due to extreme loss of revenue because of theft.  They talked about how many stores were closing. That food was going to be mostly prepackaged and more people were ordering grocery online to be delivered. They talked about how this was the "digital generation" and the zombie apocolypse was happening soon. And this generation would not know how to function without their cell phones and other electronic devices.

"Cyborgs", I said to myself.

Then my phone vibrated.  Excuse me. I need to block a caller.

Talk to you tomorrow!

If there is no zombie apocolypse!


Love,

Zita




Here is today's hooping video. Day 353!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist