Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 21: A Stellar Doctor's Visit, A Sleep Study Ordered, and Being Vigilant

I had a most extraordinary doctor appointment yesterday.  My hope is revived!  I saw an FNP  (Pulmonary Nurse Practioner) at the Oregon Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine.

My FNP was extremely thorough.  She spent a long time with me talking about my condition. I had an appointment to discuss sleep apnea, but a short while into our consultation, she said we needed to address my asthma. Interestingly enough, the clinic specializes in lung conditions and sleep apnea.  Both of which I seem to have!

She told me my asthma was not well controlled. She was not pleased that I had been given so my Prednisone at my PCP.  She was also surprised that I had not been tested for, or officially diagnosed with asthma. 

She asked me about allergies. I told her I seemed to have allergy symptoms year round, especially in the spring.  She asked me if I had been tested. I had not.

So she promptly wrote me an order to have blood drawn downstairs which they would test for allergies!  I couldn't believe my ears! At last!  She also ordered a "spacer" for my inhaler. Apparently, without the spacer, most people don't get enough of the medicine in their lungs. Especially if they are short of breath (like me). They tend to not inhale deep enough, or soon enough after administering the dose.

I love this FNP! She even stood up and gave me a lecture, using the white board, about asthma and sleep apnea!  My brain was very happy! I have done some research on my own, but she filled in the gaps.

After our visit, she first sent me to schedule my overnight sleep study. The young woman who set up the appointment was also very thorough and friendly.  I will be checking in at 8 p.m., two hours before my usual bedtime.  I am to bring pajamas, my meds, and a change of clothes. They will check me in and apply sensors to my head, chest and legs. I asked her if there would be water available. I usually wake up several times a night.  She said yes, of course!

Then looked at me and smiled. "Would you like to see a room?"

"Yes, please!" I exclaimed.

She led me down the hallway, which looked like a hospital. Then she turned the corner, and motioned toward and open door. I peeked in. It looked like a hotel room. A very nice hotel room, with a big cozy bed, television, and night stand.

"Wow!" I said. "This will be like a mini vacation!"

She laughed and told me she and many of the staff wished they could take naps there are their breaks.

"But it's not allowed", she winked at me.

After setting up my sleep study, I headed downstairs to have my blood drawn. The phlebotomist was stellar! Got a whole tube of blood with the first poke. (Usually I am told I have small veins, and I am poked like a pin cushion several times!)

A few pointers my FNP told me regarding my allergies:

  1. Replace pillows once a year.
  2. Cover the pillows with an allergy pillow case.
  3. Try Fluticasone Proprionate nasal spray before bedtime. I have used this nasal spray, but in the morning. She said it is not a stimulant and will help clear my nasal passages so I can get better sleep. 
After the sleep study, I will return to discuss the results of the study, the results of my allergy test and then they will administer a spirometry test and a nitric oxide test for my asthma.


 I can't tell you how this has raised my spirits!  We had a long talk about my health goals. I told my FNP how I was on a mission to lose weight and get in shape. I told her how frustrated I was because I am finally exercising daily and eating healthy, but I am so tired, and get winded easily, so my exercise is not ideal.

She told me that she absolutely wants to get me healthy and exercising again!

Yay!

I don't have a hooping video today. I spent the night in Vancouver. Tomorrow is my finally moving day. I did go for a short walk/run at the park near our new place.  It was lovely. Our new routine will be for me to head out first, early, about 7 a.m. I loved the fact that the park was nearly empty. One lone jogger. I think I can even do my hooping videos there!

When I get back to the apartment my daughter will hand the baby off to me and she will go run with her sister!

I have a pedometer app on my phone. It says I did 739 steps this morning which equals .29 miles! I had a brainstorm. I will walk on the path to the baseball diamond, and the run between the bases!  The dirt is soft and I can imagine I just hit a home run!





Oh Good Lord. I just received a breaking news text. There is an active shooter at a newspaper in Annapolis, MD. Multiple people shot, building has been evacuated. I pray for the victims.  I pray for our world!

It seems that just when we are going back to enjoying our life and not worrying about mass shootings, when we are comfortable in our lives, another one strikes.  Then the pain, the prayers, the political battles over gun control, the media coverage.  The fear, the helplessness and vulnerable that ascend.

Then the dust settles, and the cycle begins again.

I don't know how to tie this in to today's blog except to say that this motivates me even more to take care of my health, so I can care for my family and be of service to those in need. And to be present in this crazy life. Not only to be vigilant, in case terror or tragedy strikes, but to enjoy the beautiful God-given moments when life is peaceful.

On that note, I wish you a safe, happy, peaceful Thursday.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i