Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 248: Wildfires: Who Loves Zma?


Last night the sun was blood red through a smoke filled sky.  

This morning, the harsh, hot winds that prevailed over the last few days had subsided.  But the skies were eerily dark - a charcoal gray. 

As I opened the front door and peered out, I didn't smell any smoke. But pulled my mask up over my face, just in case.  I don't trust my nose. I have essentially been without a sense of smell for over two years now. Sometimes, scents creep through. But this morning I did not detect a thing.  I decided to walk  through the park, on my way to breakfast with my mom.  I love to walk. Especially early in the morning.  

However, I felt quite ill after I got home. Thankfully my daughter was working at home, and did not need me to watch my granddaughter. My head hurt, my eyes and throat burned. And I felt dizzy. I downed a huge glass of ice water and crawled into bed.  

My daughter told me to check the news. Apparently we are in for worse conditions tomorrow. A wall of smoke from the coastal wildfires will be blowing inland. Here is an excellent article by the Washington Smoke Blog with tips on protecting your health from smoke inhalation:

https://wasmoke.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR0Ob50SqgDXB5NmoZyLairyQAE_zuCbsFUdWY99IFKsAr5T6_idYEK56Iw

At least, here in Vancouver, Washington we are not on evacuation watch. Some of my friends in Oregon were not so lucky. My heart breaks when I read their stories on Facebook. Stories of barely making it out, as they watch their homes go up in flames.

I have been spending a lot of time with my granddaughter. More time than usual. Her mom and dad are trying to secure the place from smoke. Yesterday, she was having a bad day. Kids can pick up stressful energy from adults. We have all been a little tense lately. 

We were in her room when she had a bit of a melt down. She sat on the floor howling when we couldn't find a favorite toy.  I scooped her up and held her on my lap on the rocking chair. 

I began rocking and singing.  I think it comforted both of us.  These are trying times for everyone.  Times like these we need to come together and help and comfort each other. But as usual, there is division. There has been rumors that some of the wildfires are the result of arson. And for those who lost their homes, this would be very painful to hear.  I imagine tempers will flare.

I kept rocking my granddaughter and thought of all my friends and family. I prayed for their safety. I prayed for the firefighters.  My thudding heart slowed.  My granddaughter looked up at me with her tear stained face. I told her I loved her.  She sniffled.

Then I told her many people loved her. We started naming them all. And then I told her most of all, God loved her. She is His precious child.  She liked that. She wanted to run through the list again.  Then we made a list of everyone she loved.  Including Honey Dog.

Then she looked up with wide eyes and asked, "Who does Zma love?"

I told her I loved her, and went through my list.  It warmed my heart to think of all those I loved as I gently rocked my sweet granddaughter, her hair in ringlets, drenched in sweat, her little face shining with tears.  

Then she looked up at me again and asked, "Who loves Zma?" I paused. My heart ached a bit.  I went through my list, beginning with her. But it was short and painful. Many of the people I named, I wondered if I was worthy. Did they really love me?

And at what point in my life did I deem myself unlovable? I hear there are others of my generation that weren't showered with hugs and kisses and "I love you's" in our tender youth.  

I vowed to change that with my own kids.  Sometimes I worried I said it too much. But to hear those words now, it is never too much.

And maybe it is about time I begin to accept love from others as much as I try to give.  My counselor has been sounding like a broken record lately. "Learn to show yourself mercy, to forgive yourself and to love yourself, Zita. That way you can do the same for others".  I think I'm starting to get it. 

And as I prayed again, I felt my heart open a little. Kind of like the Grinch.  I felt it expand more as I prayed for all those suffering from the wildfires.  And my heart warmed even more.  I felt flames of love fill my body. And I started to feel a little bit of love for myself. It's a start. 

Feeling compassion for others, I feel connects me to the Source of Love.  

If only we could all remain connected.

And for what it's worth, I am sending some of my love to you tonight.

Be safe. Pray for rain.


Love,


Zita 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and