Skip to main content

Year Four, Day 256: Panic Attacks, Pop-Ups and My Guardian Angel Kitty


Good Morning Friends! :)

I am loving these beautiful fall days!  Monday morning I woke up super early for breakfast with my mom. I walked through the park to the bus stop in pitch black. The air was fresh and clean, with a crisp, cool feeling. I wore a jacket. I carried my batlight.  Even though fall is in the air, it was. supposed to warm up to the mid-80's later.

 I even got my early morning hoop session in! I apologize for the darkness, but it was 6 a.m. after all. I am just impressed that I was not only vertical, but moving!




That was Monday. Here is today's hooping video:




I have more energy today than I expected I would. Especially after my evening two nights ago. It started with what I like to call "pop-up" memories. I was in between students, and then boom! Out of the blue, memories assaulted me. Just popping up in my head without warning. 

It was like watching a horror movie. All of my negative memories, especially of my coming of age victim moments.  

Times like these I need a pop-up blocker. But I just sat, paralyzed and watched the horror film inside my head.

Then I took a few deep breaths and stretched. I said a quick "help me!" prayer and got to work teaching piano students.  Immersing myself in my work helps.

But the next day I had another incident. This time it wasn't a pop-up. It was cabin fever combined with intense fear of abandonment.  I will spare you the details, but luckily I knew myself enough to know that I needed a walk. Even though it was late and dark. Not the safest course of action, I admit. But my boyfriend talked me down and calmed me as I sat in the park, in the dark, staring up at a clear, starlit sky.  Even though it was 2 hours later where he was, he stayed with me on the phone until my darkness passed.

As I started breathing normally, I sensed another presence. Sitting off to the right of me was my guardian angel cat. 

Have I mentioned him?  Pre-pandemic, I would have to walk home late at night from the bus stop. I chose to go through the park. To avoid the park, would be about a 1/2 mile detour. So I would walk quickly, with a purpose, and wielding my batlight. Nearly every time, I would be greeted by a large, orange cat at the entry to the park. He would come up to me as if we were old friends, weaving in and out of legs, purring. I would pat his head. And then he would walk me home through the park, which has some scary characters lurking at night. 

My friend would usually leave me at the street that separated the park from my apartment complex.

That night, he sat like a sentinel, standing guard until I was ready to walk home. It was tremendously comforting. I felt like he was my guardian angel.

My guardian angel kitty 

Yesterday, I had a nice session with my counselor. We talked about my pop-up negative memories from my past and how to distance myself emotionally. I mentioned that usually the emotion would come first. I would have a negative feeling, that would come up and then a memory that was attached to that emotion. And I would be wooshed back in time, feeling those same emotions as the memory popped up. Kind of like being "beamed up" in Star Trek. 

But instead of being beamed up into the transporter, I descend down. 

Like an elevator descending into hell. 

Sorry, that was a pretty gruesome analogy.

Anyway, I worked through it. With the help of my boyfriend, my guardian angel kitty, my frantic prayers to God, my counselor and my own internal strength.

I feel like I am finally ready to confront the demons from my past. I am stronger than ever. I have survived a lot, but I am a different person. Better I hope. And what I realized during counseling yesterday, is some of the old messages that run through my head, especially during "pop-up" times are from a younger, more fearful, very immature me.  

I need to reprogram those messages.  My counselor and I talked about how I need to observe my emotions and practice staying in control. He reminded me of practicing often, just as I encourage my piano students to practice daily. 

Maybe instead of a guardian kitty I need a guardian angel lion! And maybe that lion is me!

Hear me roar!

But seriously, I am studying panic attacks and how to overcome.  I discovered quite by accident, years ago, as a young, stressed out single mom with unhappy kids in the car on the freeway, the breath is vital. I remember my heart racing, kids whining and bumper to bumper traffic. And of course, I was running late.

I felt ready to explode. Then I noticed the sky. Mostly overcast, but there was the most remarkable patch of turquoise with rays of sun accented it. I told myself, "I want to just inhale that color".

And so I did. I breathed in the patch of sky. I felt calmness permeate my whole body.

I am typing this now as a reminder that I do have coping mechanisms in my arsenal. I have had them all along. I just need to believe in my strength.

And perhaps this will help someone else too!

Also, here is a good, albeit basic article I discovered on the Mayoclinic site. One of their recommendations is physical activity.  Yay! I'm on that!


On that note, I wish you all happy, peaceful days.  Without any negative pop-ups!

It is a lovely fall day here in Vancouver, Washington. I am looking forward to my lunchtime walk!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and